SSD drives as RAM memory

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mac'in'toss'ed, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mac'in'toss'ed macrumors member

Just a naive question!!!( I know nothin about technology, i'm a biologist)
    Could SSD drives themselves play the role as the primary memory i.e. RAM???

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Maybe. Doesn't Windows have a RAM boost where you can stick a USB key in to help? I think the Read/write times may be an issue, but not entirely sure.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I read on this forum somewhere that Solid State technology has two flaws which might limit this application (please correct me):

1. in order for you to write data, you first need to zero the data on the area to be written; and
    2. SSD's have a limited read/write cycles, while this has improved to such a level that it is useful as mass storage, RAM tends to swap information a lot more frequently.

That said it would be VERY useful for a very large zero latency storage medium, sitting somewhere between RAM and the Hard Drive.

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I know Lenovo has an option for "1GB Intel Turbo Memory" in addition to option 4GB RAM.

5. mac'in'toss'ed thread starter macrumors member

:cool:Thanks, guys! very informative!
    Though it would be wonderful to be able to have such technology i think which would completely eliminate bootups at some point, just powerup and start!!!

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

SSD is fast, however, it's still not as fast as RAM.

If your virtual memory swap file is on your SSD, then in a way, you're achieving what you're wanting, but it isn't primary RAM.

Oh, and I just don't see the ReadyBoost thing offering much of an advantage at all. USB, even USB 2.0 is slow, too slow for RAM. I'd just rather use the swap file on a SATA hard disk, you'll probably get better performance.