SSD drives what works for a mac book pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fullfloridiancj, Aug 28, 2011.

1. fullfloridiancj macrumors regular

I have just purchased a 15 inch mac book pro with a normal spinning hardrive.

After reading about solid state hardrives I hoped to save some money and buy one by Christmas and install it. While reading solid state hardrive reviews on cnet, I came across an interesting news artical.

"While Apple has included SSD as options in its systems for a couple of years, the support for these garbage collection routines has only been implemented for the latest MacBook Pro systems, and only for SSD drives that are shipped with the systems. This means that if you purchase a third-party SSD drive that supports TRIM, OS X will not use it."

From my understanding, This is saying that mac os does not support this recycoling feature needed for ssd hardrives to function properly. If you do not buy one pre installed from apple.

see the whole article here:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...l?tag=mncol;5n

this was also written in april before Lion came out. Does anyone have a update on this situation? Does Lion support the installation of new SSD hardrives? I have never read a negative rew on youtube. Do you think I should sent the machine back to apple and ask for a solid state hardrive pre installed ??????? PLease help.

Thanks

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Like it says TRIM s supported by OSX only from the SSD installed by apple. This hasn't changed with the newest Lion version either.

There is however a TRIM support enabler from someone on this Forum. Lots of people have used it and say it works well. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125400&highlight=trim+enabler

you can install any SSD into your system, and Lion wont have a problem with it, just wont support TRIM natively. Don't bother sending it back. Apple charges too much for the SSD's the put in. get a faster SSD and still save money, then do the TRIM support enabler from above :)

3. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

what would you suggest

Thanks, I also see different generations between ssd drives like ocz sata 3. Do you think I should just stick with buying a samsung? cnet did a review saying its not the fastest. However sata 3 are getting bad reviews

4. toxic macrumors 68000

garbage collection is purely an SSD controller function. Mac OS X does not support TRIM (except on Apple-installed SSDs on 10.7), which is an interaction between the OS and controller to determine the best way to do that garbage collection, "best" meaning requiring the least number of writes, prolonging the life of the drive since SSD NAND flash can only be written to a limited number of times. so all SSDs are compatible, you just don't get TRIM. if you want to take the risk, there is a TRIM-enabling hack floating around here, as pointed out above.

as far as which SSD you should get, any will work. the latest and "fastest" (they are only the fastest for compressible data) SandForce-2200 based SATA III SSDs, including the newest OWC and OCZ drives, have been having reliability issues, so people have been recommending non-SF-based drives, namely those with Intel, Toshiba, Samsung, or Micron controllers, since those have fewer problems. that basically means you should buy Intel, Toshiba, Samsung, Crucial, or Kingston V+ SSDs (Apple uses Samsung and Toshiba, btw).

in any case, speed shouldn't be a major consideration for general use. SSDs feel faster as OS disks because of their low latency and faster random read/write speeds. the speeds you read in ads or on the box is sequential, which only matters for data transfers, not OS tasks.

5. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

Mr. Toxic

thanks Mr. toxic. Since you have expertise on the subject you tell me. Is it worth returning my unopened i7 mac book pro and investing another $400 to place an official 256 gig apple preinstalled ssd in it ?

6. andy318 macrumors member

I have upgraded 2 13" Macbook Pros (2011 version with core i7) from the stock HDD to a 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SATA without any problems. I've been using one of them since June

I bought the drives from Amazon. Both had firmare version 2.06 and work great in OS X 10.6.8 - no beach balls. In Snow Leopard, the drives show TRIM to be disabled. There is a tool to enable TRIM - http://www.groths.org/?p=313 if that is important to you. Sandforce drives have good garbage collection so its not required.

Here is my Disk benchmark score from XBench 1.3 -
    Disk Test 330.20
    Sequential 220.96
    Uncached Write 352.39 216.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 318.56 180.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 104.98 30.72 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 384.68 193.34 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 653.07
    Uncached Write 432.95 45.83 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 618.89 198.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2176.27 15.42 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 574.76 106.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]

7. toxic macrumors 68000

I wouldn't bother. SSD wear seems to be overblown, but in the case that it isn't, there's the TRIM enabler, and by the time the wear causes slowdowns SSD prices will probably have dropped a lot more.

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have to agree with Toxic here. I was all crazy over TRIM and should I enable or should I not. I went with an Intel 320 20 gig as my boot drive and will get an Intel 510 250 gig as my data drive (Optibay) and call it a day. I only keep computers for about a year anyway so I am not bothered in the least regarding garbage collection. Also, you might want to think twice about enabling that TRIM hack.

9. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

this is my problem. If trim is not enabled I will have to continue to by new ssd drives for the mac. Apple only enables trim for os if they install it.

What is so bad about the trim hack? Are there many negative issues.

The kid at the apple store said replacing the hard drive to ssd is under apple warrenty . of course he could be worng

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

How long do you plan to keep your computer? SSD's eventually reach the point were data can no longer be written anyway so TRIM will not save it from reaching this point.

11. chupacabra31 macrumors member

If you buy an SSD with Sandforce be sure to not enable that Trim support hack as it will slow down your drive. Sandforce is OS independent garbage collection so no need for trim support. Just an fyi.