SSD drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew017, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I'd like to purchase this SSD for my MacBook, and was wondering, since it is almost the same size as my current drive, would it really benefit me? I know SSD is faster and more reliable, but really would like to know how much faster my MacBook would run.

Also, I'd like to know how much of a speed boost I'd get if I doubled the 2GB of RAM I have installed. How much would I get if I did both?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll see a noticeable difference in performance with the SSD, especially on boot times, app launching and any read/write operations. You'll also likely see a bump from the RAM increase.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Thanks for the fast response! I rebooted, and checked Activity Monitor (I usually do this every few hours to check and see if I need to purge the RAM) and the page outs come to about 996KB per second.

So I would benefit more from getting the SSD than RAM?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Page outs aren't expressed as per second. They are a cumulative amount since your last restart. If they're normally around the amount you posted, it's unlikely you'll see a big difference from upgrading, although you may need more in the future. I would usually recommend 4GB as a minimum these days. Yes, it looks like you'd see much greater improvement from the SSD, if you have to choose between that and RAM.

Also, you don't ever need to purge RAM. Mac OS X manages memory automatically, with no interference from the user required. Read the link I posted to better understand RAM usage in Mac OS X.

5. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Sorry I typed it wrong! I meant (0 bytes/ second), which is what Activity Monitor read. I don't have RAM trouble with Lion like others seem to have, but I do agree that at some point I will buy some more.

I only do it when I absolutely have to--- when I'm running a whole bunch of Apps and processes, and I need a little extra memory to work with--- it only seems to clear up the inactive RAM

Thank you... I think the SSD will be my next purchase!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the point. You don't need to clear inactive memory. You're potentially harming performance by doing so, not helping it. Inactive memory is just like free memory, in that it's fully available to apps as they need it. Inactive memory has the added advantage of eliminating the need for some page-ins, if the app that used that memory is relaunched, making it faster. Purging inactive memory removes that advantage and doesn't gain anything in the process.

7. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I've got the same SSD in my 2006 iMac and it makes a BIG difference in speed when it comes to opening programs and files. Well worth the investment IMO.

BTW, it's a good $20 cheaper on amazon.

8. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

thanks for clearing that up! I understand now.

----------

Ok, thanks- I'll check it out

9. slynger, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

slynger macrumors regular

slynger

can anyone here put in a good word for Crucial SSD. I've heard they work great, but I'm still learning about these drives and want to make sure if I spend the money I get a good one.

I'm looking to put a 512 into a Macbook mid '09. Any help is greatly appreciated.

10. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

11. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I just did that two posts above you, the SSD the OP referenced is a Crucial.