SSD Drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by W00DI, Aug 11, 2009.

1. W00DI macrumors member

Anyone know where I can find the cheapest SSD's for a uMBP?
    I've already look around and the prices are ridiculous!

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

What do you consider cheap?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

In SSDs market there is a star who shines above them all: Intel x25-m G2 a.k.a. Postville a.k.a. the new 34nm one.
    The 80gb version retails for about 220$ and has by far the best quality/price ratio on the market.
    So if you want to get an SSD I think that is the choice, it is self-destructive to get anything else. Yeah you can find cheaper ssd with best cost per gb but you will get worse speed and worse overall experience. Intel x-25m is the way for people who want to enjoy the SSD revolution from the front row.

5. jhewes macrumors newbie

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^ What gianly wrote. Remember that's 80GB. A 160GB will run $450.

Nothing will improve the perceived speed of your laptop like a SSD. Hurry up Intel and get them fixed and out the door!

7. Timmermt macrumors newbie

8. W00DI thread starter macrumors member

Like $200

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

haha dream on. It will be a while before there is a reliable 500gb or so SSD for that price. 500gb is the smallest i would switch for.

10. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I just finished digging through various SSDs with the help of Google - their reviews, and the various prices that they sell at. I could gather enough courage to buy the Intel X25-M G1 80Gb from Newegg but finally decided 80Gb was just not going to cut it.

And I could not convince myself spending close to $700 for a 256Gb model - it just is not that attractive a proposition for my kind of use -

I have a new HP 8530p on order and it comes with a 160Gb 5400RPM disk - I guess for now I will just get a WD 7200RPM 320Gb drive and settle. Idea being that I will never need the SSD speeds if Vista agrees to sleep/wake properly - I am not going to be rebooting it and so boot time or application load times are not that big of a deal. If it sleeps/wakes fast (and that's not a big if) then I can always keep a FireFox and other application instances in memory - so app load times is not going to be an issue either. (I primarily use a bunch of PuTTY instances, VPN, Eclipse, GVim etc. all developer stuff)

So what else is the selling point of SSDs at their current prices? (Apart from bragging rights of course :) )

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

13. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well then get the second generation Intel, its one of the best SSDs you can get right now.

The only downside is 80GB size.

14. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I have 2 Gen 1's in Raid 0 in my Mac Pro, and they fly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, in fact I'm going to buy another Gen 1 Friday, rather than wait for the new ones to come back in stock, the average user most likely won't see that BIG of a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, because no matter what they are both FAST.

:D

15. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

I must disagree, not only G2 are slightly faster (but they're both very fast so OK), but they are TRIM-ready (they will get it via firmware update within a couple of months), whereas the G1s will probably never get the TRIM command. (based on what Intel has declared so far)

What is TRIM command and why is it important

So today the G2s are the only way to go, don't buy G1s anymore. And let's hope Snow Leopard will support TRIM command.

EDIT (september 09): in-depht reviews revealed that the G2 are so damn good that they don't even need the TRIM command after all, so don't care about it

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Was very tempted when my Gen 2 didn't make it out the door because of the BIOS snafu. I think that the Gen 1's price will drop further once the Gen 2's get fixed and restocked. It really sucks because I ordered one day of release, in-stock, tracking number, geek excitement then next day RMA number and pulled from shipping.:mad:

17. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I'll vouch for the Indilinx Barefoot based SSD's, like OCZ Vertex, G.Skill Falcon and Patriot Torqx.

The new upcoming firmware upgrade will most likely make TRIM obsolete and unnecessary == We don't have to wait for Apple to add support for it.

See:
    http://hothardware.com/News/OCZ-and-Indilinx-Collaborate-On-New-SSD-Garbage-Collection-Scheme/

Edit:
    But it's probably good to wait for a price cut on for example the Vertex so that it can compete better with the new Intel X25-M G2's.

The BIOS password issue should be solved now:
    http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Issues-BIOS-Bug-Fix-For-34nm-Solid-State-Drives/

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

19. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

What spec numbers are you looking at out of curiosity? A write speed of 70MB/s doesn't seem all that great compared to several larger capacity, cheaper SSDs with writes close to 200MB/s and reads over that...

20. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

There has to be support both ways, SSD drive firmware and the operating system. If one supports, but not the other, then it's useless.

Good thing, this is just software and will be available in the future.

21. p3ncil macrumors regular

One question really bothers me.
    Why on earth would you need TRIM support when Intel has already done such a great job on the fragmentation issues?

22. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

Great information from everyone. Seems like more and more SSD threads are popping up. Nice :D

23. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

You are right, actually the G2s wouldn't need TRIM at all, they suffer of insignificant degradation.

When I wrote that post this wasn't so clear as it is nowadays. (after the third installment of Anandtech "SSD Bible")