SSD & external HDD, or Fusion.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cbdboz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Cbdboz macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Making final decision on IMac, as to whether SSD + HDD or fusion.

I like the idea of speed, but can't justify a full SSD solution and already have close to 700g of data ( mainly pics, vids, apps etc)

I also like the idea of simplicity and avoiding messy cables and peripherals in sight (hence why iMac is also a favourite of mine as a main computer)

And, I am no great IT expert and would need guidance as how to set up external drives and combining with SSD.

Current option will be to have a bunch of USB3 drives connected to Mac mini in living room, which will act as server for the house, and presumably I could also use this as the defecto hard drive for the IMac.....but I would have no idea as to how I would set up the iMac to use both internal ssd and an external server in the most optimum fashion.

...this then leads me back to the question of why not just get a 3tb fusion drive, and use the server as back up etc ( however the server/ Mac mini) will also need to house all my media via iTunes or plex.....

Would welcome all advice or guidance ...... I have seen lots of thumbs up for ssd....but assuming a lot of the guys on the forum are far more technically savvy than me and would probably find this situation a breeze without seeking advice. So perhaps fusion is a better option for mere mortals like myself....but again would need to understand how the Mac mini server would also have the media files that I would want access to on a 24/7 basis.

...and to confuse matters more, maybe I should get a multi bay enclosure directly connected to Mac mini/ server, as opposed to multiple usb3 hd's....this may be 'tidier' but also seems expensive...and again, bordering on the too technical for me.. :eek:

Appreciate your help....Cheers ;)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You tube is your friend

To be honest none of your options sound to difficult and not being tech savvy shouldn't stop you doing what you wish. You tube has tutorials on how to set up just about anything you like. Using a mini as a server should work well you can just access the files directly from the mini using your network connected devices. Look up everything you need to know on you tube watch the video and decide wether it's for you is the best advice I can give....

As for the SSD vs Fusion I have not used fusion myself but all the anecdotal evidence I have seen says it is a great fast and wonderfully stable solution.
    If you want simplicity then go for it, the difference between the SSD and the fusion will be negligible unless you have more than 100GB of apps.

3. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Fusion

Have recently bought an iMac and went with a Fusion Drive.

It seems excellent, very speedy. If you can afford it, go for it.