SSD + external VS SSD + 5400 HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemPh, Mar 25, 2014.

1. LemPh macrumors member

Which solution do you think will work better?
    I'd keep app & data separately to get more performance.
    I already have an external 1TB hard drive and I'd like to use it, as I bought recently.

For what I know if I want to use 2 hard drives (SSD+HDD) I need to sacrifice my optical disc drive. :mad: For this reason I was thinking about SSD + External and not SSD + 5400 HDD.

Oh, everything on a 13 MBP. ;)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Keep the SSD in your MBP and save all your media/data in your external.

3. Marty62 macrumors 6502

When did you last use your DVD drive ??

If it's really no "loss" then that's a neat solution to having more storage
    and not carrying an external.... you have to watch the "height" of the extra
    internal HDD though ! ( could be 11mm Max IIRC )

For me, I don't mind, I have an SSD system drive and a 1tb Lacie Thunderbolt
    external for data and that works fine.

M.

4. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

I actually do not use the optical drive very often but I'd like to keep as I have a lot of movies on CD/DVD.
    Is it possible that files of the same app are stored in both HD and SSD? I don't want to miss something if I unplug the external one. :confused:

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It depends on the app. Some apps you can just install the app on an external drive and all there would be left on the internal is perhaps a small plist file that contains the apps settings. Other apps install needed file in your user ~/Library/Application Support folder and other places, and those files will need to stay there.

This is very hit or miss. Many apps need to be in the main /Applications folder to work properly. If I were you, I would just install all apps normally on the SSD in /Applications and then just store your data on the external.

6. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

Perfect. I understand. My concern is about apps that create catalogs like Final Cut, iMovie and so on.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see. If it is just a specific app like FC, you might be able to get away with moving the catalogue to the external then use a symlink to point to the correct path on the external.

8. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow. Never heard about this thing. Sounds easy and time-saving :)

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's why you take your DVD drive and stick it in an enclosure, that way you still have it.

10. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

Can you explain it better?

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Super drive in enclosure

The previous poster was suggesting that if you put a large HDD in the opti drive bay you can buy a cheap opti drive external enclosure (about £10 on amazon) and put your optical drive in this then when you need cd dvd you just run from that through USB.

12. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Which is what I just gave a link to :)
    Even though OWC is rather expensive, the solution is the same.

13. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

Ohhh! :) I got it. Sounds great. And I can keep the remaining HDD as a backup drive in case of loss. I think I'll act this way. Thank you guys!!

14. Chancha macrumors 6502

The optical bay should only be able to fit a 9.5mm drive, at the moment the biggest capacity of such drive is 2TB Seagate, next is 1.5TB Hitachi. Anything higher will only fit in the main HDD bay, which for this generation of MBP should be reserved for SSD due to the problems of getting SATA3 speed through the SATA connector on the opti bay.

15. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Ah , thanks for that good to know.

M.