SSD + external VS SSD + 5400 HDD

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Which solution do you think will work better?
I'd keep app & data separately to get more performance.
I already have an external 1TB hard drive and I'd like to use it, as I bought recently.

For what I know if I want to use 2 hard drives (SSD+HDD) I need to sacrifice my optical disc drive. :mad: For this reason I was thinking about SSD + External and not SSD + 5400 HDD.

Oh, everything on a 13 MBP. ;)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Which solution do you think will work better?
I'd keep app & data separately to get more performance.
I already have an external 1TB hard drive and I'd like to use it, as I bought recently.

For what I know if I want to use 2 hard drives (SSD+HDD) I need to sacrifice my optical disc drive. :mad: For this reason I was thinking about SSD + External and not SSD + 5400 HDD.

Oh, everything on a 13 MBP. ;)
Keep the SSD in your MBP and save all your media/data in your external.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
When did you last use your DVD drive ??

If it's really no "loss" then that's a neat solution to having more storage
and not carrying an external.... you have to watch the "height" of the extra
internal HDD though ! ( could be 11mm Max IIRC )

For me, I don't mind, I have an SSD system drive and a 1tb Lacie Thunderbolt
external for data and that works fine.

M.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
I actually do not use the optical drive very often but I'd like to keep as I have a lot of movies on CD/DVD.
Is it possible that files of the same app are stored in both HD and SSD? I don't want to miss something if I unplug the external one. :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it possible that files of the same app are stored in both HD and SSD? I don't want to miss something if I unplug the external one. :confused:
It depends on the app. Some apps you can just install the app on an external drive and all there would be left on the internal is perhaps a small plist file that contains the apps settings. Other apps install needed file in your user ~/Library/Application Support folder and other places, and those files will need to stay there.

This is very hit or miss. Many apps need to be in the main /Applications folder to work properly. If I were you, I would just install all apps normally on the SSD in /Applications and then just store your data on the external.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Perfect. I understand. My concern is about apps that create catalogs like Final Cut, iMovie and so on.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Perfect. I understand. My concern is about apps that create catalogs like Final Cut, iMovie and so on.
I see. If it is just a specific app like FC, you might be able to get away with moving the catalogue to the external then use a symlink to point to the correct path on the external.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
I see. If it is just a specific app like FC, you might be able to get away with moving the catalogue to the external then use a symlink to point to the correct path on the external.

Oh wow. Never heard about this thing. Sounds easy and time-saving :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I actually do not use the optical drive very often but I'd like to keep as I have a lot of movies on CD/DVD.
That's why you take your DVD drive and stick it in an enclosure, that way you still have it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Super drive in enclosure

The previous poster was suggesting that if you put a large HDD in the opti drive bay you can buy a cheap opti drive external enclosure (about £10 on amazon) and put your optical drive in this then when you need cd dvd you just run from that through USB.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
The previous poster was suggesting that if you put a large HDD in the opti drive bay you can buy a cheap opti drive external enclosure (about £10 on amazon) and put your optical drive in this then when you need cd dvd you just run from that through USB.
Which is what I just gave a link to :)
Even though OWC is rather expensive, the solution is the same.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014

Ohhh! :) I got it. Sounds great. And I can keep the remaining HDD as a backup drive in case of loss. I think I'll act this way. Thank you guys!!

Chancha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
you have to watch the "height" of the extra
internal HDD though ! ( could be 11mm Max IIRC )
The optical bay should only be able to fit a 9.5mm drive, at the moment the biggest capacity of such drive is 2TB Seagate, next is 1.5TB Hitachi. Anything higher will only fit in the main HDD bay, which for this generation of MBP should be reserved for SSD due to the problems of getting SATA3 speed through the SATA connector on the opti bay.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
The optical bay should only be able to fit a 9.5mm drive, at the moment the biggest capacity of such drive is 2TB Seagate, next is 1.5TB Hitachi. Anything higher will only fit in the main HDD bay, which for this generation of MBP should be reserved for SSD due to the problems of getting SATA3 speed through the SATA connector on the opti bay.

Ah , thanks for that good to know.

M.