SSD failed, need help with Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I'mAMac, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I'mAMac, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Recently I ran Disk Utility and found my SSD was corrupt and needed to be repaired. I tried to run the repair utility and found that the disk couldn't be fixed and had to be restored with a backup. No big deal, I've got Time Machine. I booted into the recovery HD and ran the Time Machine backup.

The progress bar will reach ~40% and then I get a message saying the backup failed and to restart my computer. This has happened every time I've tried it. Is there anything I can fix that would be causing the backup to fail? All help is appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a little confused, are you trying to restore the backup onto a new SSD or the one that was corrupted? Could it be that the restore is failing is because there is something wrong with the SSD?

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can try reformatting the HD and then installing the OS and then use your backup...

4. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Trying to restore onto the same one but I am able to install lion on it and use it with no problem. I've already tried restoring it with lion reinstalled on it.

5. iforbes macrumors 6502

Not sure why you are installing/restoring to a bad SSD? You need to get a known good drive and try your restore...and not try to restore to a known BAD drive.

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Because I don't have the time or the money. Bought this less than a year ago and I can't wait 2 weeks or more for a replacement (even if they would replace it).

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, your disc seems to be broken. It seems that only a part of it can be written to without problems.

You will need a new hard drive/ssd eventually. You should contact OWC and ask if you can get a replacement shipped before sending the current one in.