SSD fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyc, Oct 2, 2011.

1. cyc macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP with SSD on few days ago. I noticed that, the fan noise is really loud and irritating, even i was like just using Safari with iTunes on. Noting more than that. Anyone knows what's going on?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I have the Macbook Pro 13" '11 with SSD and my fans are really quiet and don't start spinning unless I do something really CPU intensive.
    Watching YouTube and browsing never gets them above 2000rpm.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Same here.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Check the temps. Install smcFanControl or iStat to do that.
    At 2000rpm the fans are usually really quite. If yours run a lot faster you might want to post a screen of activity monitor. Because they should with normal usage.

5. ibookster macrumors member

I have the same problem. Just got a 512GB M5 from Crucial yesterday and the fans are running all the time. Seems to be a problem with the machine not being able to read the temperature correctly with the missing harddrive. Thinking about returning the drive.

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I have the Macbook Pro 13" '11 and the temps seemed to be lower with my SSD than with my HDD. Both the Samsung and 470 and Crucial M4 made my computer run cooler.

7. ibookster macrumors member

I migrated my HD to the SSD. Will do a clean install of Lion and return with update.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Usually the fans should give a crap about HDD or SSD temperatures as they cannot do anything about it anyway. They are passively cooled by the case and nothing else.

9. ibookster macrumors member

I reinstalled lion after the clone of the HD made the fans go crazy. After having installed lion clean on the ssd it behaves as it should.

10. kcossabo macrumors member

Thank you for the information. I am going to order the same drive for my 2010 MBP i5.

I know it is early, but are you noticing better performance?