SSD Firmware and OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vogelhausdesign, Dec 15, 2010.

1. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Hey everyone, Just wanted to ask a few questions about firmware and SSD's. Is there any way to check which firmware you have under osx? Windows? I'd like to find out what firmware my OWC Mercury Extreme 120g has, and if it was shipped with the recent upgrade.

If it's not, what is the best way to go about upgrading the firmware? Reformatting to windows, wiping the drive clean, then installing (under win7) ?

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Ina a mac pro, if you have a spare drive, install and boot into windows with your ssd attached. Flash the unformatted SSD. Then Install OSX from a backup or clone of your oSX drive.

OWC should have some sort of tool to read the SSD firmware.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

4. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Thanks guys, I didn't see anything from OWC I checked their site earlier. Also how do you unformat a drive? Sounds stupid but I don't think I've ever tried to return a drive to it's factory state.

Anyone willing to give a step by step on firmware upgrading a mercury elite?

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If you want to restore your drive to factory condition, you need to use this process...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841182

Do you really need to do a firmware upgrade? That will require the firmware and some kind of bootable CD / tool to flash the drive. I presume if there is a firmware update to be had, OWC would provide all that.