SSD for 2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superspud, Sep 15, 2012.

1. superspud macrumors regular

I'm planning to get a new iMac if they ever come out and will be wiping my MacBook and using it as a travel or leisure computer (I have an iPad as well).

It still works surprisingly well and is running lion.

My question is, are there any issues I may encounter in putting an SSD on my mid 07 MacBook? I plan to just put in a 64 or 128 gig. Something that will make it nice and zippy with its 4gigs of ram.

Thanks

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

No issues whatsoever. Quick tip though, do a clean install, don't restore from a backup directly. I had massive slowdowns and freezes until i did a clean install.

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tip, that was my plan.

i am going to move all my files over to the imac when i get it then install the SSD with a fresh copy of Lion on the macbook.

I am not going to have any files, photos or even my itunes library on my macbook. its going to be a blank slate of a computer for guests / internet use only.

I take that back, I MIGHT move my itunes on there, havnt decided yet.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Should work for you just fine. Get a cheaper small drive like you are planning to.

5. paul-n macrumors regular

Sounds good, I would go with 128 GB, this gives you the opportunity to have enough space left for data. I can also recommend a Samsung 830, which costs $100 for 128GB.

6. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Fantastic choice, I installed that model of HD in my previous work computer, and it increased performance significantly. It's surprising how much faster an SSD will increase performance on you machine. It's a night and day difference if you do software development. Tell us how it works out.

7. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

perfect, the samsung 830 128gb was the exact model i was looking at.

now i just need the new imacs to come out...... hopefully i wont be waiting much longer