SSD for 2008 iMac

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So my iMac is very slow, which is to be expected for a 7 year old computer, and after looking at various threads about how to speed it up I'm thinking my best option is to replace the original HD with a SSD. So I would like recommendations on a SSD to put in there. I'm in college so I don't have a lot of spare money, so I'm thinking a smaller SSD for the OS and apps, and then using an external drive for any large storage needs.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I was thinking around $100 or so, I can put up with my current one for a bit if someone convinces me I should go with a more expensive one and I need to save up a bit.
Well, if 256GB is enough space I would say that's your answer. Since it's a desktop, and you won't need portability the idea of using a separate drive for large data is not a bad one. You could even re-task your old drive for it if you buy an enclosure ($12-$15) at the same time that you buy your new SSD.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well, if 256GB is enough space I would say that's your answer. Since it's a desktop, and you won't need portability the idea of using a separate drive for large data is not a bad one. You could even re-task your old drive for it if you buy an enclosure ($12-$15) at the same time that you buy your new SSD.
I think the 256GB is plenty of space, and I was already thinking of getting an enclosure as well just to make it easier to transfer data off of the old drive.

Since I see the SSD you linked to is a 2.5" one, does it require any sort of adapter to work in the iMac, or did those iMacs already use 2.5" drives?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I think the 256GB is plenty of space, and I was already thinking of getting an enclosure as well just to make it easier to transfer data off of the old drive.

Since I see the SSD you linked to is a 2.5" one, does it require any sort of adapter to work in the iMac, or did those iMacs already use 2.5" drives?
I would double check to see if there is a teardown on ifixit.com. But I would imagine the original drive was 3.5. Here's a link to an adapter on Amazon for $8:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHNG36/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2QFQY9UE28V3G&coliid=I1WYAXKFJ2JMOD&psc=1