SSD for 2008 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrkramer, Feb 19, 2015.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So my iMac is very slow, which is to be expected for a 7 year old computer, and after looking at various threads about how to speed it up I'm thinking my best option is to replace the original HD with a SSD. So I would like recommendations on a SSD to put in there. I'm in college so I don't have a lot of spare money, so I'm thinking a smaller SSD for the OS and apps, and then using an external drive for any large storage needs.

2. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was thinking around $100 or so, I can put up with my current one for a bit if someone convinces me I should go with a more expensive one and I need to save up a bit.

4. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Well, if 256GB is enough space I would say that's your answer. Since it's a desktop, and you won't need portability the idea of using a separate drive for large data is not a bad one. You could even re-task your old drive for it if you buy an enclosure ($12-$15) at the same time that you buy your new SSD.

5. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the 256GB is plenty of space, and I was already thinking of getting an enclosure as well just to make it easier to transfer data off of the old drive.

Since I see the SSD you linked to is a 2.5" one, does it require any sort of adapter to work in the iMac, or did those iMacs already use 2.5" drives?

6. dyt1983, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

7. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I would double check to see if there is a teardown on ifixit.com. But I would imagine the original drive was 3.5. Here's a link to an adapter on Amazon for $8:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHNG36...lid=2QFQY9UE28V3G&coliid=I1WYAXKFJ2JMOD&psc=1