SSD for 2010 White MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iRooney, May 19, 2012.

1. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Would the crucial m4 work for this model? Also, I've read about ssd drives dying after a few months. Is this true?

2. simsaladimbamba

It would work.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

And about the dying part: Every device will fail, some fail sooner, some fail later. SSDs are a relatively new technology (compared to HDDs), thus there is not that much data on how long those basterds live. I have two SSDs, one is 18 months old (Vertex 2 in 2007 iMac) and one is 6 months old (Vertex 3 in 2009 MBP) and both haven't failed yet.
    Just make sure to employ a proper backup system, preferably with a clone via CarbonCopyCloner to have a bootable backup in case something happens and an SSD from a vendor with proper warranty.

3. iRooney, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

I went ahead and ordered the m4. Now for a secondary question...

I know that free space has a lot to do with longevity of the ssd. I have a lot of music, but I am also an iTunes a match subscriber and I know that as long as you don't click the cloud download icon, iTunes will simply stream the music instead of storing it locally. How does an ssd treat streaming media? Is it just kept in buffer or does it actually write itself to the drive and then erase? I guess my main question is....is it better to keep the 100gb or so of music on the drive or just stream it off the cloud? I am never not in a wifi zone so accessibility isn't an issue for me.

Also just for giggles....what's the best way to play movies stored on the computer via apple tv? I tried jail breaking and using the external drive connected to my airport extreme, but I couldn't get Xbmc to detect the drive, so I unjailbroke. Right now I turn on my laptop and leave it on to use home sharing. I have a windows pc in another room that I couldn't just put iTunes on and just keep it on all the time. A bit of a waste of power though. Any thoughts?

Ps. Sorry this is so long and bounces back and forth. Just trying to figure stuff out.

EDIT: Got the apple tv part working. Scratch that question.

4. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

There will be a cache stored for the music that is streamed, but I doubt it will be very much. Streaming will be less load on your drive of course. The lifetime of SSD drives is measured by how many read/writes it does. The fewer the longer it will last, but I would not obsess about it. Depending on use an SSD could very well outlast a HDD. But you should always BACKUP your data. You never know what could happen to any storage medium.

As for your second question, I have no idea, maybe someone who as a better idea about that will post.