SSD for 2011 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff5886, May 7, 2011.

1. Jeff5886 macrumors regular

There is tons of info out there on SSD's for all of the diffrent MBP. I have a brand new 2011 17" MBP. I want to buy an SSD. My question is what SSD will work FLAWLESSLY with my MBP? I have read about some people having issues with alot of the SSD's out there. I am willing to sacrifice performance for reliability. With that being said, what SSD would you recommend for the best reliability for a 2011 MBP?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are more concerned with compatibility and reliability than raw speed, probably the Intel 320 SSD is a good bet.

Intel brand is tops in reliability and users here don't seem to be reporting much in the way of problems with this drive. It is a SATA II drive so will sacrifice a little speed compared to the fastest SATA III drives, but in normal usage you won't notice the difference. It is also cheaper than the SATA III drives.

3. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking at either the Intel x-25 M or the Vertex 2. I can get both at good deals but what one is better?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Vertex 2 has its fans here, but the reliability has been spotty.

I would go with the Intel. The Intel 320 is the successor to the X25-M and has some improvements. MSRP on the Intel 320 is usually less than the X25-M, so unless you get a super deal on the X25-M I would get the 320.

Here is a good review of the 320.

5. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered an Intel 320 300 GB yesterday. I have a 2011 13" MBP, and my criteria for a SSD was the same as yours. Reliability and compatibility over raw performance. Plus, you get more GBs for less money. Should be here next week. Can't wait to try it out.

6. uplusd macrumors 6502

OWC SSDs have been pretty solid after the last firmware update

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been reluctant to recommend OWC since they offer no way for the user to update FW on a Mac without installing Windows under Bootcamp. Other vendors like Intel and Crucial offer a boot CDRom ISO that can be used to update FW on a Mac.

8. TenderBranson macrumors member

The latest OWC firmware seems like it is more than reliable enough to even warrant being upgraded.

9. frankieboy macrumors regular

You should know that there are problems with SATA III SSDs in the 2011 MBP, especially the 17" that you have:

Replacement 17" MacBook Pro works GREAT with OWC 6G SSD

I'd recommend the OWC drives, especially if a small price premium isn't an issue for you. I do not think the firmware issue is serious. The firmware in them is more than good enough, if not perfect, and:
    • OWC is working on a Mac version, so you can wait for that,
    • or you can send it back to them to be flashed if you cannot wait,
    • or get it done now with any (SATA) Windows box,
    • or from Bootcamp.
    Lots of options! The Mac support from OWC is the best there is, it is friendly, and when they get their firmware software worked out, they will be the only vendor to have a Mac-native firmware updater!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Might want to read this before recommending anything from OWC.

11. frankieboy, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

frankieboy macrumors regular

Yeah, I already read your ax-grind piece. I guess everybody around here knows that if OWC is mentioned, you'll pop up to smear them. How many times have you done that now? Must be many dozens; a couple times a week, or every day when you are in a particularly randy mood, right? Great little, petty life you got there, pal.

I already loved OWC, and now I love them a little more, just because you don't.

12. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Samsung 470 SSD

I bought one of these a while back and had it in 2 computers and it worked great. I just put it into my new 13 inch MBP. As I recall, it had nice performance specs and very good reliability figures. Also used Trim Enabler to turn on Trim.( People are divided as to whether it is needed or not with the MAC OS)

13. ELA2 macrumors member

My vote is for the stock apple ssd because it simply works and apple backs it.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

"Smear" them? Tell me what is inaccurate about anything I have posted about OWC?

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I won't argue about Intel reliability, but it's not accurate to state that you won't notice the difference between SATA II and SATA III. The latter is significantly faster, and not just in benchmarks. Having said that, I would certainly stay away from the Crucial C300 as it has been very problematic for many people, including myself. The Vertex 3 has been great for me. I'm running the same MackBook as the OP, and it just screams with this drive.

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Go with intel 320.

I made the same decision as you but in my case it was vertex 2 vs x25m and you can see in my sig what i went for.

17. keantan macrumors regular

After the latest updates from Apple, My Vertex 3 SSD has been way more stable (no more hanging whatsoever). And I'm running a 2011 17"

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I conditioned my comment by saying in "normal usage" you won't notice the difference. Sure, if you are moving around 15GB videos there will be a difference... but if you start the computer, launch a few apps, browse some web news, create a few office docs, that sort of thing, it won't stress a SSD and the speed difference won't be noticeable. JMO :)

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw a similar comment in another thread from a Crucial M4 user. Hopefully the EFI update a couple days ago fixed the SATA III issues people were having.