SSD for 2014 15" Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dashpuppy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. dashpuppy macrumors member

Where is the best place to get the biggest drive :) I see that OWC has the 1tb for a nice chunk of change, any other options ?

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The only places to get an SSD for a Late 13 or Mid 14 rMBP are:

Apple - only good if you have a friendly AASP who can get it for you (and they are eye wateringly expensive)

iFixit/eBay/Craigslist for a second user one.

This is because they use a different type of SSD to the earlier Ivy Bridge rMBPs (the Ivy Bridge ones use a SATA interface and are the type sold by OWC. The newer Haswell rMBPs use a PCIe interface)

3. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

So now i have to wait ? I bet i get raped from apple.ca to get a 512 :(

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Have you bought the MBP yet?

If not, it's a $300 option to configure a base spec 15" rMBP with a 512 GB SSD.

5. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

Already bought it.

6. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Kinda lazy to look for this, but do the 1TB SSD's have essentially the same read/write speeds as the stock 512GB SSD in my mid 2012 rMBP? Worse?

7. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

8. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

At the bottom of the link you provided to OWC they have this text:

"Not for use with Late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display with model ID: MacBookPro11,x"

So if you look under the System Report found under About This Mac, the model Identifier will answer your question.

9. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

yeah i found that after :( bummer :(

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nobody makes PCIe blade SSDs for the Haswell Macs (iMac, MBAir, rMBP).

And I don't think we'll see any. It's been well over a year since the first of the PCIe blades debuted in Macs.

11. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

Why would you think that ? You don't think people *like my self * want more storage ? Apple only ships these machines with 512gig drives, and that's easy to fill up.

12. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

1 TB is a build to order option on most MBP models, including yours.

13. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

Yep, but at that time I wasn't in the financial state to buy a 1tb. However there must be someone soon to make them for the public to start buying..

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It didn't take as long for OWC and Transcend to come up with options for the mSATA blade SSDs in the Ivy Bridge Macs.

Of course people want more storage, but I think they probably had trouble coming up with their own PCIe blades that would fit in Haswell Macs, and probably either:
    1. Abandoned all development of third-party PCIe blades for Haswell Macs, or
    2. Continue developing it, but launch date is indefinite.

You should've gone for a 1TB SSD if you knew that it was so easy to fill up.

If people want more storage, then they should have bought the amount that they need from the start, and if they can't afford it at that time, then they should wait to save up enough cash to get the 1TB option, or improvise by using external storage, or just suck it up and live with it.

15. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

a $3500 laptop was SO FAR WAY OUT TO LUNCH for me ! Instead ill just buy a external thunderbolt 1tb ssd.

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's cheaper, but also still not cheap.

You might as well as buy an external TB enclosure and a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, or an 850 Pro if you plan to do heavy writes to it.

17. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

I can't find any small thunderbolt enclosures :(

18. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yeah, as above, I think scouring ebay to find a worthy product from a good seller may likely be the ONLY way to find a reasonable upgrade, as of now _ I am sure that one will be available from a 3rd party some day, but _ if you NEED it, you gotta Pay the Piper _ if not, ya gotta Hunt for a Deal, or wait!!

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/macbook-pro-retina-ssd

19. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

I'm good with waiting. I missed a Ebay auction on a orange rugged Thunderbolt case, the hard drive was missing but was perfect as i really was going to toss teh drive anyways and throw in a Samsung 1tb ssd. This is what i will use for my lightroom & video footage / scratch disc.

20. paolo- macrumors 6502a

What's your use case? The benefit of going thunderbolt vs USB3 on a standard not insanely fast SSD is slim.

21. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

the throughput on a Thunderbolt port vs a USB3.0 is huge. And if im going to buy a FAST ssd id like to have it perform the best :)

22. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to stop you from getting a FAST ssd or going thunderbolt ;) but the performance increase you'll see might be very very small. My 128GB crucial m4 from 2011 hits a constant 180 MB/s with a cheapo amazon usb3 enclosure. To put things in perspective, that's 6 layers of ProRes 422 1080p 30fps footage with plenty of headroom.

I'm not questioning your need for speed, if you're regularly editing multi cam 4k footage for example. But with external storage, you quickly hit diminishing returns for performance that few people will really notice.

23. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

I guess i could use a USB3.0 but from my understanding the throughput and io was better on thunderbolt compaired to USB 3.0.. I'm going to be using it for hd 1080p stuff and maybe "MAYBE" a 4k video..

24. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Yes, throughput is much higher for Thunderbolt than USB3.0. However, a single SSD is typically still under the max throughput of USB3.0 (some specialty drives do exceed it). In other words, you build highway on which you can go 10000km/h but your car really only maxes out at 100km/h. Thunderbolt would make really a difference if your start looking at raid arrays.

As you can see in this comparison, http://youtu.be/ntJaYCTDaBQ?t=5m8s the Elgato single SSD drive that has both thunderbolt and USB 3.0 and the performance of the drive is only marginally slower when going from Thunderbolt to USB 3.0. It also has a very fast drive and controller in the first place.

Which gets you to the second point, do you even need to go to speeds where the difference means something. For 1080p video, I think you're better off saving money by getting a good value SSD that's not at the bledding edge of performance and probably going USB3. Maybe use the extra money in backup or something.

25. dashpuppy thread starter macrumors member

Hey good idea, im all ears for saving money :) got any good portable USB 3.0 enclosures to recommend ? I really like the orange rugged Lacie drive cases.. Id be putting a 512gig ssd or a 1tb ssd into it.