SSD for BlackBook or new MB Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radicaldog, Mar 1, 2010.

1. radicaldog macrumors member

Dilemma: upgrading to a new MacBook Pro (that would be basic 13'' for me, but with a 128GB SSD) or switching the HD to a SSD in my old BlackBook (see sig. for details)?

I wouldn't want to bring the RAM over my current 2Gb (not worth getting two 2Gb sticks to only gain 1.3Gb), so maybe I'm better off ordering a new MBP with 4Gb Ram and 128Gb SSD?

What's a good but reasonably priced 128Gb SSD that would fit into my BlackBook?

Thanks!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Do you game? If not, just get a SSD.

The MacBooks can support SSD with an SATA connector.

3. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

how would 2 2gb sticks only be 1.3gb more? wouldnt it be 2gb more lol?

and id just keep your current blackbook. wait till the new pro comes out then wait for them to drop the price on the new pro...then get it. so probably a year or maybe a bit more..

4. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

I try to keep myself away from games, so I should probably just get the SSD. Any recommendations?

And what are other components of my MB that may deteriorate and may then justify an upgrade to a new machine?

5. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

I read somewhere that the max supported ram for my model is 3.3Gb, but in order to be able to use that much you need 4GB.

6. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

oh i was unaware of that. i figured it was 4. u might want to look into that because apple also says the white unbody macbook only supports 4gb but it actually supports 8gbs...

and 1.3gb more of ram actually probably would help because most people that have 4gb most likely dont use all 4gb most of the time. but they usually use just a little over 2gb..so u wouldnt really notice a diff between 3.3 and 4gb of ram

7. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but still, two 2GB sticks are quite expensive.

8. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

well depending on what you qualify as expensive you can get 2 good 2gb of ddr3 1066 ram shipped for 120.

or in your case you use ddr2 i think u could get 2 2gb sticks for a hundred or under a hundred shipped

thats not too bad of a price. and also like i said search around and talk to people to see if the actual cap on ram is 3.3 for the blackbook

9. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Seriously? Where? I paid about £80 ($120) at an authorised Apple service place for 2 1GB sticks just a few months ago.

10. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148087

get 2 of those...those should be the right ones u might wanna double check. it says fits macbook 2.0ghz. also check the number of pins your ram has.

i ordered the same ram except obv in ddr3 cuz my macbook is newer

and you can replace your ram yourself. its honestly unscrewing a few screws. popping the bottom plate off. pull out the old ram, press in the new ram, screw the bottom plate back on. boot up. boom ya got 4gb of ram..