SSD for December MBP 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gaussianmist, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gaussianmist macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a macbook pro 13' as of yesterday (December 24). I've had my share of research on SSD's in this one day and plan on ordering one within the week.

I am now pretty much leaning towards an OCZ Vertex 4, but I am hearing many bad things as well as good things about it. My main concerns are as follow:

1)Is the firmware update even possible on my current mac, and if so how often must i update?

2)Can this whole process be avoided by purchasing another SSD in the same price range ($150 below), that comes with preinstalled firmware, and has no TRIM issues.

Any help would be useful at all seeing I am very new into this

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

OCZ has greatly improved their SSD's - I used a OCZ Vertex 3 MAX for about 6 months - zero problems - upgraded the firmware with my MBP.

Most people hear suggest the Samsung 830/840 or M4 - But I think any major brand SSD will work fine. All SSD have the ability to be faulty. :)

Enjoy your purchase.

Look at the companies website to determine the firmware upgrade requirements.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Samsung, Samsung, Samsung.

830 or 840 Pro if you want the best performance/reliability. The OCZ might be a little faster than the 830 (but definitely not the 840 Pro) but those few Megabytes will cost you in the future.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Get the best deal on a Crucial M4, Sammy 830/840/840 pro, Vertex 4 you can find. I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of these drives.

Unless you're regularly moving large amounts of data around, you'd probably have to be Mr. Data to notice a performance difference between these models.

5. gaussianmist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies, I ended up ordering an Samsung 840 120gb regular. Merry Christmas guys!:D