SSD for Early 15' 2008 MBP?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hi, I have a early 15inch 2008 macbook pro (NonUniBody) - 2.5 core 2 duo, 4gb ram, Lion OSX 10.7.4, 512 8600mGT and I've used two 7200rpm 500gb hard drive and thinking of making jump to SSD?

Which SSD would be compatible with my early 2008 MBP?

Also, would it be hard to assemble? I swapped out the internal hard drive twice, is it a similar process?:confused:

Thanks!

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Your MBP won't be compatible with SATA III, so you could try to find an SATA II SSD. However, SATA II drives aren't always cheaper (nowadays). I would recommend the Crucial M4, even though it's SATA III just because of its reliability. Good luck!

Pretty much all SSDs will be compatible though, so find a model you are confined with. Installing an SSD is the exact same process as installing a regular HDD.

Comment

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Your MBP won't be compatible with SATA III, so you could try to find an SATA II SSD. However, SATA II drives aren't always cheaper (nowadays). I would recommend the Crucial M4, even though it's SATA III just because of its reliability. Good luck!

Pretty much all SSDs will be compatible though, so find a model you are confined with. Installing an SSD is the exact same process as installing a regular HDD.

Oh.. You said my MBP isn't compatible with SATA III..but you recommended me M4 (SATA III)... :confused: Confused :O.

Thanks

Comment

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oh.. You said my MBP isn't compatible with SATA III..but you recommended me M4 (SATA III)... :confused: Confused :O.
SATA III SSDs can still work with SATA II connections, it just won't go as fast as it possibly can.

If you go online and check out SSD prices, you will often find that SATA III SSDS are comparable in price to SATA II SSDs. Because of this, don't focus on finding a specific SATA II SSD, but focus on finding a reliable SSD regardless of speed. Although the Crucial M4 is an SATA III rated SSD, it's reliability is almost unmatched for the price.

Comment

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
SATA III SSDs can still work with SATA II connections, it just won't go as fast as it possibly can.

If you go online and check out SSD prices, you will often find that SATA III SSDS are comparable in price to SATA II SSDs. Because of this, don't focus on finding a specific SATA II SSD, but focus on finding a reliable SSD regardless of speed. Although the Crucial M4 is an SATA III rated SSD, it's reliability is almost unmatched for the price.
I see, is it also backward compatible with SATA I? When I look at my system profile is says 1.5gb

Product: ICH8-M AHCI
Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Comment

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I see, is it also backward compatible with SATA I? When I look at my system profile is says 1.5gb

Product: ICH8-M AHCI
Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
I have same 1.5Gigabit link speed like yours I just bought a new Intel 320 series 160GB SSD SATA II 2 days ago and it worked fine but not much of performance tho.

Comment

Falcatraz

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
Be careful and do a little research. I have almost the exact same laptop as you do and I upgraded to an SSD earlier in the year. The first one I bought (OCZ Agility if I'm not mistaken) would boot up but was so slow due to some incompatibility that I took it back and got a 'slower' Intel 320. The Intel worked like an absolute champ. Install was quick, easy and lacked any drama. There are cheaper drives out there but everyone says that the Intels are the most solid and after this experience I would agree.

Anyways, just thought some first hand experience with your exact MBP would be helpful. Good luck.

Comment

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Be careful and do a little research. I have almost the exact same laptop as you do and I upgraded to an SSD earlier in the year. The first one I bought (OCZ Agility if I'm not mistaken) would boot up but was so slow due to some incompatibility that I took it back and got a 'slower' Intel 320. The Intel worked like an absolute champ. Install was quick, easy and lacked any drama. There are cheaper drives out there but everyone says that the Intels are the most solid and after this experience I would agree.

Anyways, just thought some first hand experience with your exact MBP would be helpful. Good luck.
Just Got the samsung 830. Anyone have a suggestion for a optical bay caddy?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.