SSD for early 2008 17" MBPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricede, Oct 10, 2015.

1. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Can anyone tell me if is it possible to put a 500 GB Samsung 850 into an early 2008 17" MBPro 2.5 Ghz Core2Duo ?

Is there maybe a better SSD for this mac ? Or will any SSD be incompatible with this link speed ?

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:
    Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit.
    Negotiated Link Speed:1.5 Gigabit

Any advise most welcome. Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes it is possible to use a SSD. I don't see why you'd think it isn't. A hard drive's a hard drive.

SATA is backward compatible with itself. Any SSD you buy will set itself to whatever the board can handle.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Any SATA SSD you get today will work just fine with your MacBook Pro, although as it only has a SATA I bus, realize that you won't be getting the full performance out of the drive. It will still be a ton faster than any spinning hard disk that you can put in it though! I threw an SSD in my mid-2007 MacBook Pro, and it was still night and day. Good luck with your upgrade, and enjoy your MacBook Pro a bit longer!

4. ricede thread starter macrumors regular

ricede

Thanks for the answers. I only posted because a friend fitted an Intel SSD into the same year of MBP & had strange things happening. Maybe it was a duff SSD. I don't want to shell out on a fairly expensive SSD & then have compatibility problems. You have put my mind at rest. Thanks

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Crucial has an excellent reputation also. You should be able to get the Crucial BX100 for a little cheaper than the Samsung. Crucial is $15 cheaper on Amazon.

6. ricede thread starter macrumors regular

ricede

I just checked here in India, on Amazon, and the Crucial BX100 is $15 more expensive. So i think i will go with the Samsung.

7. austinpike macrumors 6502

A number of people do seem to have issues with older MacBooks, the diagnosis is generally a bad internal SATA cable. I was upgrading a friend's 2008-ish macbook and tried 2 or 3 different SSDs - all of which would either not be recognized or fail partway through OS installation. Yet the original hard drive and a new hard drive I ended up using both worked fine. (and the SSDs work fine in other machines.) I never tried a new cable as he was fine just using the new HD.

It seems odd to me that a bad SATA cable could allow an SSD to "partially" work; meanwhile a standard hard drive is fine. But maybe somehow the SSD exposes the flaw as it is pushing more data.

Anyway I wouldn't let that dissuade you, but I would have a source for a replacement cable lined up.

8. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Do you have an ExpressCard slot on your laptop? That was the easiest SSD upgrade for me. Just popped one in (48GB was enough for my system and apps) so that I could leave my 320GB HDD alone. I opened up this machine once, and I'm not really interested in doing so again.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Same here. I'm using a SanDisk SSD.