SSD for early 2011 MBP (WILL IT FIT)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tarktime, Nov 29, 2014.

1. tarktime macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Sorry if i haven't gone through all the threads to find an answer that may already exist.

SO:
    I currently have a Mac Book Pro early 2011 13inch model

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

and am stuck with a S.M.A.R.T problem.
    I have already concluded that i must replace the internal HDD so i have been looking at my options.
    I have also concluded that i want to bump up to a SSD, but i have few questions before going forth and doing so.

1. im looking in to getting the 'Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB Internal Serial ATA III Solid State Drive for Laptops' from best buy for around 119.
    -Will this fit in a 13 inch mbp?
    -Will it work with my early 2011 mbp?

2. Is it easy to have everything in working order without a reinstall disk and so on? (i dont have my original box or disks)
    -Reinstalling OSX on to the samsung ssd.

3. anyones experience with replacing to SSD on the 2011 mbp model after a SMART failure?

Thanks guys!

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Yes as long as it says it's a 2.5" drive, it will fit! The only drives I've heard don't fit are the 1TB HDDs, They are a bit thicker and won't fit.

And yes just put the drive in and using a usb installer or DVD, and format the drive as Journaled and then install the OS. Or use a cloning software to make an exact copy of your current drive.

3. tarktime thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome thankyou!

And is the USB or the disk journal thing easy to do?