SSD for early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samuelf92, Aug 8, 2012.

1. samuelf92 macrumors newbie

Usage: Video editing (Final Cut) and music (Ableton + Logic). I didn't think the RAM upgrade affected the speed enough. It still seems too slow when video editing. I'd therefore like an SSD.

My MBP specs: Early 2011. 2.0 Ghz i7. 8 GB Kingston DDR3 (bought them afterwards.) 500 GB hard disk. Radeon HD 6490M (and that other gpu).
    So, I suppose this would have SATA 6Gb/s, but not sure if it has one or two SATA III ports?

Capacity. Think I will remove my disc drive, and then use the two hard disks at the same time. I suppose a 256 GB would be nice, when video editing.

Price. Definitely not more than 335 USD (don't know the prices compared to denmark, where I live, but not more than that please.)

I actually found this extra cheap because it's second hand. What do you say?

Hope you guys can/will help me. Thanks.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Samsung 830. There should be deals for it all over the place. $335 might even get you a 512GB SSD since prices have come down a lot recently.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

It's around $550 for the 512GB one anywhere I have looked, so still pretty expensive.

The 256GB one is around $250 which is a pretty affordable price though.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Most of the SSD postings (including Hellhammer, our resident SSD expert and a reviewer for Anandtech) seem to recommend either the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4, both of which can be found stateside within your price range for the 256gb version. The Sammy has better specs on paper, especially for more intensive disk operations like moving larger files, while the M4 has more aggressive price points. The Sammy requires a windows machine for firmware updates, while the Crucial can be done on a mac. Personal preferences aside, you really can't go wrong with either.

I was able to snag an M4 512gb new in box from Ebay for $380, and am delighted with it.

BTW...despite what Apple says, you can go up to 16gb of ram in your machine for >$100, should you require it.

Good luck.

5. arashb macrumors 6502

On early 2011 MBPs you have one SATA III (HD slot) and one SATA II (CD slot).

6. ebatalha macrumors member

ebatalha

For video editing tou should read the Final Cut's manual! You should never store your media in the system's hard drive. That's why it is slow.

7. arashb macrumors 6502

Mmmm, wouldn't video editing while it's on an external drive be even slower? You have to then deal with 80 MB write speed caps.

8. samuelf92 thread starter macrumors newbie

daneoni, clyde2801: thanks for your help, think I'll go for the Samsung 830, only about $30 more expensive anyway.

Would that mean I wouldn't be able to have 2 hdd's at a time? :(
    Because if not, I was thinking of buying a 128 GB in stead, since it's nearly half price. My video projects don't fill up more than 60 GB at a time or so, so I could just transfer them when I needed to edit them. Though, that would require 2 hdd's simultaneously.

Yeah, I agree! What do you say, ebatalha?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You can have two HDDs at the same time just know one will run at SATA II (optical bay) whilst the other will run at SATA III (HDD bay).

10. arashb macrumors 6502

You can have both, I do. Just the optical drive SATA will be throttled down to SATA II speeds. The cable is still the same.

11. samuelf92 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, then I'll put the old hdd in the sata II slot... what do you think, 128 or 256?

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The beauty of this setup is that if you get the smaller one you can always upgrade if you decide more space is required. That said, I'd get the larger one.