SSD for iMac 2010, 27". Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mol0chko, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mol0chko macrumors newbie

Good evening. Please help.
    Q: I have a 2010 iMac mc511, 27 ". I want to put him in the SSD, the master said that not every driver(?) SSD will work with him. Someone put in his? Can you suggest a company?
    Sorry for my English.

2. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Changing HDD on iMac are complicated. Moreover, Im not sure if your iMac uses 3.5 or 2.5" drives. I believe the iMac uses 3.5, and SSDs are 2.5", so you may need an adapter in addition to the SSD

Popular brands today are OCZ and Crucial. Because they sell so much, they also have best price in adition to great quality

3. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, but i will not do it by my self. I will do it in service center, they said that some of them a not compatible with this model and they advised me transcend which i don't want. That's why i ask you, who made it for you and exact company

4. paul-n macrumors regular

We replaced the HDD of a 2011 iMac with a Samsung 830 SSD. We replaced the hdd with the ssd and didn't add the ssd, due to complete disassembling of the device, which was not necessary when only replacing the hdd. The replacing of the hdd took us two hours.
    We had the problem that the iMac fans turned to full thruttle until installing HDD Fan Control.

5. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that will put Crucial M4 128Gb
    What's this say? Do not be a problem?

6. APtalent macrumors regular

7. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

Why?
    OWC does not send to Russia, as I understand

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I have this exact machine and took it in. It has worked flawlessly with a crucial 256GB ssd. They did have to order extra parts but it works

9. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

Through optibay? I think they all take the same m4 :)

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what Optibay is. If you are asking if I replaced the superdrive I did not. I have an sad, a 2TB HD and still have the superdrive. I hope this answers your question.:)

11. ElTee macrumors newbie

After reading the twam.info link listed earlier, I had my local AASP install a Cruclal M4 256MB SSD in my wife's mid-2010 27" iMac last year.

It's performed flawlessly, and it's nice to still have the HDD and ODD. Since it was done with all Apple parts, and by an AASP, my warranty and applecare coverage is still good.

In the end, it cost about as much as it would've had I just ordered it from Apple. The only real gain is that the Crucial M4 is a better SDD.

I paid $71 for parts (the two cables, the pressure wall mounting bracket, anda a package of screws) and $222 in labor.

12. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

Firmware? Updated or not?

13. ElTee macrumors newbie

I was out of the country for seven months and only recently returned and haven't yet had an opportunity to update the M4's firmware. I'm still on 0002, but will reflash to 0309 soon. With reports of problems with 000F, I'm unsure if I'll upgrade to that version.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I was able to do it in less than 2hrs and paid $20 in parts. http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

I didn't need a bracket and I didn't need to remove and hdd or odd.

If you want to add a odd bracket is recommend this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290751966892

15. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I've installed Corsair ForceGT's, Intel's, OWC's, Samsung's and OCZ's in 2009, 10 and 11 model iMac 27"ers and all have worked just fine.

Most if not all of the SSD's I've bought came with a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor in the box (for sure the ForceGT and Intel did) the other brand I did for friends and each had an adaptor but I did not ask if it came with the drive.

I would suggest to simply have the SSD added to the computer in addition to the HDD so you don't have to deal with any fan controlling programs, it isn't hard to do or setup but if someone doesn't want anything extra to deal with then don't.

All you would need to get would be a slimline SATA+Power plug to add the drive to the empty SATA connection on the logic board and either the bracket pieces or double sided 3M tape to secure the drive down inside the computer.

16. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

Somewhat on topic...

Considering the wealth of experience you have in this area, I'll throw this one to you, mmomega:

I have a mid-2010 27" iMac with a single 1TB drive factory installed. I'm preparing to remove the 1TB drive and replace it with a pair of 512GB SSDs (Samsung 830) using a 2x2.5 to 3.5inch adapter. I will, therefore, need to utilize the third SATA port on the iMac (I'm keeping the optical drive as is). I'm reading mixed reports of the cable required to get the job done. Do I really need this: Link to Apple part or will this get the job done: Link to Generic part?

Is the first of those two for 2010 iMacs, the second for 2011 iMacs? Or will the second option work with the 2010 without problems?

Thanks so much.

Nathan

17. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The generic cable you listed is the exact same cable I have in my '11 iMac. I am 90% sure that it works in the '10 models and I am fairly certain I read it on here. I'll see if I can find any reference to it.

In the '10 I put the SSD in I had not found that cable yet so I ran a standard SATA cable from the logic board to SSD then I added a molex power connector splitter and a molex to SATA adaptor to take power from the 1TB HDD.

So, the single cable is much easier to deal with but their are other options that will work. I just can not remember right off if the '10 logic board has the SATA+Power connector or SATA only.

Since you are removing the HDD you "could" simply use something like this (depending on how close the 2 drives are to each other) to power both SSD's and use standard SATA cables to the board.

http://www.outletpc.com/mo2511.html..._content=pla&gclid=CL-WzPbyyrECFWROTAodTj4AIg

18. 20somethingmac macrumors newbie

Have you done the upgrade yet? Also, how are mounting the 2 ssd's? It's funny I was thinking of doing the same to my 27' 2010 iMac. I know there's only three SATA cable ports (one for stock HD, DVD, and blank slot) right? Looking around I found OWC HD to be the best deal for your buck and warranty. Im wondering with 10.8 TRIM support is automatic.

I was thinking of keeping the stock 1TB as a scratch disk and using the SSD for apps and OS.

Check out the OWC website for a tutorial video; if you're not comfortable going in with just a written guide.

There's a great article for upgrading the CPU as well On iFixit since Apple didn't mount it permanently on the Motherboard.

-20somethingmac

19. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

Thanks mmomega. Let me know if you find that reference you were referring to. I'll undoubtedly figure it out for myself once the iMac is pulled apart, but I'd love to keep my downtime to a minimum.

I have not yet completed the upgrade, 20somethingmac. I'll get to it in the next few weeks. Silverstone makes a very basic 2x2.5 to 3.5 adapter that should work without issue.

I'll also be putting a Blu-ray drive in there while I have the iMac on the table.

Nathan

20. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

For mounting 2 SSD's I have used the pressure wall to mount 1 drive 10 imac ssd mount
    then use double sided tape to mount the second drive under the dvd drive.
    The '11 models there are mount points already under the superdrive so if you want you can buy the mounts for that 11 imac ssd mount

So for the '10 you can use the pressure wall + double sided tape
    for the '11 you can use the pressure wall and under superdrive mounting kit

or you don't have to purchase any hardware and just use double sided tape on either model.

Also nathanbrown I believe this is the article I found before as it covers the 2010 model and has some good pics inside the machine. He bought the entire wiring harness made for an SSD and replaced the non-SSD harness.
    Using the "generic" slimline SATA+Power cable negates having to go this method but it does make it "look" more stock on the inside if that matters.
    Here

21. mol0chko thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    :)

What do I do after? How to update firmware and how to make sure everything is working properly?