SSD for Late 2006 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bounty78, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Bounty78 macrumors newbie

Guys,
    What would you suggest SSD for my Late 2006 Mac book. It does have Upgrade 4 GB of Ram and 500 GB of HD. Thinking of replacing to Solid State Drive. Is it worth changing to SSD. Any help will highly be appreciated.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nearly any SSD on the current market will max out that Macbook's SATA I bus. But I suggest a Samsung 830, 840, or 840 Pro. All of which will work the exact same in that Macbook.

3. Bounty78, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Intell Thanks for your prompt response. If I remove HD Is it possible that I can have both HDD and SSD? I am looking at the price for SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC256B/WW for $220.00. Is that a reasonable price.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but you'll have to get an optibay. If you do, make sure you get the PATA one, not the SATA one as your Macbook has a PATA optical drive. They do make optibays that can take a SATA hard drive and have an internal PATA/SATA adapter in them. I suggest you get one of those.

5. Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Intell, Can I install it by myself or I have to go the Apple store to do it for me.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's something that you might be able to do yourself. Check out iFixit's guides for replacing the optical drive in your model Macbook. I don't think an Apple Store would do that for you.

7. Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you help Intell, I really appreciate it, I will be ordering SSD soon.

8. Emathieu macrumors regular

I'm doing this upgrade in the same MacBook model on tomorrow (provided UPS gets it here as scheduled). I went with the 120GB Samsung 840 (not 840 Pro).

9. Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Emathieu, Could you please provide the update info regarding replacement of SSD on macbook late 2006. How did you do it? Did you do it by yourself.

10. Emathieu macrumors regular

Sure, I'll post an update for you once I do it this evening. I'm just going to pop it in as a replacement for the HDD. I'll let you know how it goes, but I don't expect any issues.

11. Bounty78, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Emathieu, What do you think? I am a bit skeptical about that to spend couple of hundred Dollar on a Six Years Old Mac Book late 2006 machine which is working like a champ with upgraded 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD. Is it worth it to replace HDD to SSD on that machine.

12. Emathieu macrumors regular

If you are trying to squeeze some additional life out of it, it is definitely worth it. A friend of mine recently replaced the HDD in his Blackbook with an SSD, and it is like a new machine. Amazingly fast. I was planning on purchasing a new MacBook Air or MBP, but once I used his MacBook, I decieded to upgrade.

Of course, for anything that is CPU intensive, it will still be slow, but for what I'm going to use it for (my iMac is my "power" machine) it should be great, and allow me to delay my laptop purchase for a while.

13. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I highly recommend intel drives based on my experience.

14. Emathieu, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Emathieu macrumors regular

Well, here's my update - I'm currently typing this on my Macbook 2,1 with the Samsung 840 SSD installed as the primary drive.

The install was SUPER simple - just popped the SSD in place of the HDD, and booted to my Snow Leopard disc. Ran Disk Utility, formatted the SSD, and started the install. Currently downloading Lion from the Mac App store as I type this.

System is very fast - startup/shutdown is amazing. Applications (what's here, I haven't installed everything yet - waiting to get Lion on first) open super quickly.

Already VERY happy with this upgrade. My MacBook lives on... :)

EDIT: Make sure to download Trim Enabler, activate it and reboot. As others have reported, TRIM is not enabled without doing this step (you can see it will say "TRIM Support: No" in System Profiler until you activate it).

15. Bounty78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Emathieu for Posting the Update. So you like it so far, That's very encouraging news for me.:cool: I did order Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD. I hope will be receiving in couple of days and try to install it by myself. I will post the update once I am done with the installation, Currently I am running Lion. So I will have to re-install the Lion again on SSD.

16. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

A bargain-basement KingSpec SSD from eBay, starting at 32GB, or $58 for 64GB, that'll max out your SATA I bus at 130MB/sec.

17. joker197cinque macrumors newbie

Hi Emathiu, just read about your replacement and would like to ask something:

1) Did you buuy only SSD or also some kinf of adaper and/or bay adapter ? I read that there is something mismatching through PATA and SATA ... can you please explain ?

2) Are you happy of that replacement ?