SSD for late 2009 21" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by takeshi808, Jun 3, 2013.

1. takeshi808 macrumors newbie

Lately I've been doing a lot of work in Lightroom and its been slowing down considerably. Would I realize considerable gains by moving to an SSD? I have a late 2009 21" iMac. Probably thinking about a 480GB drive. What would be the easiest way to separate the OS and apps from the actual photos? And once I make the swap, can I just restore from Time Machine?

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

You have two choices:
    1. Replace the original HDD with an SSD
    potential problem - your fans might spin to max speed because of temp sensor missing in SSD.

2. Replacing the optical drive (OWC install kit http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMMSSD240/)
    Disadvantage - you are loosing your DVD - however you can use an external one if needed
    Advantage - you keep the original HDD and avoid Temp sensor / Fan-speed issues.

I have done option 2 on my 27" late 2009. Worked like a charm. Very satisfied.

3. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Ive done the same to my late 09 27" as well. I replaced the optical drive with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and its been so far so good. Have you had any issues with the fans running at high speeds, or anything else along the lines?

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I replaced my internal 1TB hard drive in a 2010 21.5" iMac with a 120GB SATA 2 SSD; works like a champ. I downloaded and installed SMC Fan Control and have had no fan issues. I put the 1TB HD in an enclosure and use that for my Time Machine backups.

Surgery on the iMac was pretty straightforward; go to iFixit, and follow the instructions, and take your time.

You'll really like using an SSD.

5. eduardrw macrumors 6502

No fan problem so far - I was careful to re-use the original Temp sensor on the DVD.

6. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

Does the 2010 iMac have the same hard drive temp sensor problem that the late 2009 iMac has?

If I read right, Apple no longer includes Apple hardware test on computers which used to fail when the original hard drive to a different brand. So that is no longer a concern.

7. Bear macrumors G3

How much RAM does your iMac have? How much RAM and swapspace is Lightroom sucking up. An SSD should help, but also getting the correct amount of memory in to your system would also help.

It's not the hardware test that is an issue, it's the OS deciding the disk is running hot due to the sensor and running the fans on high.

8. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I'm not sure about any temp sensor problem on the 2010 model, per se.

Kind of what Bear said: if a drive without a temp sensor is installed, OS X is not getting any temp reading at all, and therefore it assumes that the temp sensor has failed and sets the fan to full speed as a safe guard. SMC fan control solves it.

9. nolanmoon macrumors newbie

put the 1TB HD in an enclosure and use that for my Time Machine backups.[​IMG]

10. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

Thanks. I read that you can buy the same temp sensor that the optical drive uses to remedy the problem. But I think I'm now leaning towards just building my own Fusion drive by swapping an SSD in for the optical drive with an optibay.