SSD for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Thiol, May 15, 2008.

1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ever heard of "Super Talent"? That's probably why.

3. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I've heard of the brand. I don't know of any adapters. The only benchmark I've found is for an older model that can't keep up with a Raptor.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are plenty of tech companies people won't have heard of yet probably have components from in some device they have owned or used, Super Talent have been around a long time and probably fall in to this category.

As for the price, googling "super talent 120gb" yielded a number of links to tech sites talking about it. It looks to me that these are new to the market (launched on May 5th) and other drives are more expensive because there have been no reactions to them. Just a simple case of new technology entering a small, but expanding, market.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It suffers from poor write speeds.

That is why it is cheap.

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

just because you've never heard of them, they must be no good? :confused:

Super Talent is one of the best US manufactures, offer lifetime warranty on everything, but usually sell to OEM/Builders so the name might not be familiar.

in building several hundred systems over the last few years, i've had 3 (yes, that's three) problems/failures, and the replacements were always cross shipped the same day. try that with any other company...

anyway, to the OP, they have several lines of SSD, and this is the entry level drive. you might try eWiz to see a better list of drives, as they are one of the biggest distributors of super talent.

7. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

OK, did more research.

It seems as if many SSDs come in a 3.5" format. I presume I should get that instead of adapting a 2.5"?

Also, is it fair to say that Mitron and Memoright now offer the best-reviewed SSDs?

Thanks guys, this whole SSD phenomenon is so new that I appreciate all the help.

8. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

You probably now know more than the rest of us do. I don't even keep track of it because I'm not willing to pay nearly the current prices for it, by the time the prices come down, the landscape will probably have shifted two or three times anyway. I'm guessing that maybe the 3.5" SSDs may be more cost-effective because size is less of a factor in the design. It would be easier to mount.