SSD for Macbook Pro 13" i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrRoyksopp, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular

Hello people.
    - I basically want to ask, should I install a SSD drive in my MacBook Pro?
    I've seen a lot of people doing these upgrades, and it seems like the MBP gets even faster. So I just have some questions about an upgrade:

Have any of you out there done an upgrade, and what are your experiences with it?
    Is it worth for me to do an upgrade?
    And if I should make an upgrade, which type of SSD should I be looking for? (link maybe)

I use my MBP all day long to all kinds of different stuff.

- Thanks. :)

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you have the money then go for it.
    I don't know what you use your HDD space for but if its under 128GB, I would def buy the SSD.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

With the 2011 MBP, I'd personally say to get a SATA-3 SSD. Intel vs Sandforce drives like the Vertex 3 always cause a big debate, but the Vertex 3 is faster and they work fine.

Oh, and as for the original question - YES buy an SSD. It's by far the best upgrade you can do speed-wise.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

The difference between an HDD and an SSD is so big that brand shouldn't matter. It'll be the most noticeable performance improvement you'll make in current laptops today.

5. andy318 macrumors member

Yes the upgrade is worth the money in my opinion. I installed a Vertex 3 SSD in my 2011 13" Macbook Pro and it works fantastic. My laptop boots up in 12 seconds.

6. fattire357 macrumors regular

Since TRIM for third party SSDs is not supported by OSX, does that mean that we should go towards a OCZ Sandforce SSD over Intel? Still kinda learning about this but I thought that brand does matter..

7. MrRoyksopp thread starter macrumors regular