SSD for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JLEW700, Jan 2, 2015.

1. JLEW700, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Looking at replacing the HD in my late 2008 mackbook and have decided to go with a Samsung SSD over a OWC SSD. The question is should I go with an 840 or a 850 and should I do the EVO or the Pro?

Thanks in advance.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

On a 2008 MacBook, go with the cheaper option.

The SATA bus on the Late 2008 models are SATA II (300 MB/s max), so anything faster than that won't make a difference. Early 2008 is plain old SATA I (150 MB/s). Even the slowest and cheapest SSDs of today will easily max it out.

I've used Kingston, OWC, Samsung, Crucial, and OCZ all in MacBooks/iMac's of the same vintage and they all benchmark and run about the same. I'd expect around 250 MB/s tops realistically for a Late 2008 model, or somewhere around 120-130 for the Early '08.

It will make a massive difference either way.

3. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is late 2008 so which Samsung SSD will max me out without paying for speed that I wont use?

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

An 840/850 EVO should do just fine. The 850 is just a newer version of the 840, they sell around the same price. The PRO is faster, but it wouldn't be noticeable, and would cost more.

So, 850 EVO would be my bet.

5. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the info. Also, would I have to format the Samsung for a Mac vs a OWC thats already formated for a Mac?

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

When you install OS X on the drive you will need to go to Disk Utility and format it, yes.

I don't know if you're planning a clean install, cloning or using Time Machine, but I usually create a USB installer drive using DiskMakerX so I can install the drive and format it from there. Works with pretty much every version of OS X.

You can re download the original installer from the app store (Lion to Yosemite) under your purchased section and then use DiskMakerX to format and create an installer for you using an 8GB flash drive. Or you can still use a DVD if you're using Snow Leopard.

I find Mavericks runs well on that model. Yosemite also runs pretty good now that some of the bugs have been worked out.

You can also clone what you have or use a Time Machine backup. I've used the Time Machine method when I didn't have an enclosure to clone the drive with.

Once you partition the new SSD in Disk Utility you will have the option to restore from a backup.

Here is how to partition it once you've got the installer booted up (hold option while USB drive/DVD is inserted).

[​IMG]

1. Click the new SSD
    2. Go to the partiton tab
    3. Select 1 partition
    4. Make sure it is set to Mac OS Extended, should be default
    5. Go to options and make sure it is set to GUID partition table, also default

Then click Apply and it will be ready to use.

7. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome guide! Thanks a lot!

Just to make sure that I understand correctly. If I plan on doing a clean install I just remove my old HD, Plug in the new SSD and then boot my OS from the thumb drive and install it on the SSD and once the OS is installed I open disk utility and partition the SSD?

Also, I've never used Yosemite before but plan on using it on the new SSD. You think Yosemite will peform best or should I go with Mavericks?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OS X Yosemite and Mavericks are about the same in terms of performance. When you get the new SSD, install it, boot the USB, open Disk Utility, select the SSD and choose the "Erase" tab. Erase the drive using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". This will wipe the drive and format it for a Mac and create one partition for OS X to install to. The OS X installer will create a small hidden (~650 MB) recovery partition on the drive as well.

9. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I just plug the SSD into an external HD case then connect via usb and then format it before I install it? That way I can just install it and then install the OS?

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes you can but this is not different.

In both ways you will :

1. format
    2. install OS X

No difference.

You don't need the step "plug the SSD into an external HD case" : put the blank new SSD into the Mac, boot up from the USB installer, format, then install OS X.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. It is the same as doing it inside the installer though.