SSD for MBP 17" 2011 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qbaser, Jul 8, 2011.

1. qbaser macrumors member

Im currently using a OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD abd very happy with results.

I do need to get a 256GB SSD as running out of space. Was wondering if I should go for an OCZ vertex 2 256GB for £277 or spend an extra £20 and get the crucial C300 6 Gbps? Will that give me far greater speed? My top budget is £300 and just want the best for my money/speed etc.

Hope to get peoples experience and advice thanks,
    Al

2. blackbinary macrumors member

A sata 3 drive is much faster than a sata 2 drive.
    It is worth the extra money to get the C300. You could also consider the Vertex 3 series.

If you want more room, you might also want to think about installing a hard drive in the cd drive slot with an optibay.

I personally have a vertex 3 drive thats working quite well, and have ordered a optibay for my stock 750gb drive to go in. That way i get the best of both worlds.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you search the forums you will find many people are having compatibility problems with the new SATA III SSD drives in 2011 MBPs... particularly the 17". You may be better off just getting a SATA II SSD and trading a little speed for better compatibility.

The Intel 320 SSD (SATA II) seems to work well for many users here.

Unless you are doing work that moves large data files around on the drive, you are not going to notice much if any difference between a SATA II and a SATA III drive.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Sandforce 1200 drives, like the Vertex 2, have the worst possible reliability track record. Check out the 400 reviews on Newegg.com of the Vertex 2 120GB. There's about 100 1 star reviews there.

Crucial C300 is a good drive but I would recommend the Crucial M4. It uses less power and it's a bit faster. As long as you install firmware 2 it will run great.

I have the 256GB M4 in my MBP 2011 now. I sold my Vertex 3 because battery life was bad.

5. qbaser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate it. Ive not had any problems with my 120gb vertex 2 so surprised to read that. I'll probably go for the crucial M4 then if its guaranteed to work

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i've just ordered the patriot wildfire 120gb.

i know you wanted a 256gb, but why don't you opt for a sata-3 + optibay solution, unless, of course you do not have the new 2011 sandy-bridge MBP.

As for the M4, i'm rather inclined to one of the sandforce V2 controller or an intel SSD. my c300 was a royal PIA on this mbp - was originally meant for a temporary measure then for storage in the optibay.

is 120gb not enough for OS+apps + most used data and the rest can all go a cheaper ssd/ or 7200rpm hdd in the optibay. A £15 ebay caddy is just as good as any of the ridiculously priced ones IMO; i even copped a $15 superdrive enclosure which is faultless, albeit a little aesthetically unpleasing.

8. qbaser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for those options, I do think i want one drive only, 256gb. Amazing how quickly the space gets taken with cubase wav 24 bit files. Crucial M4 is the one i think.

Thanks everyone
    Al

9. qbaser thread starter macrumors member

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

Crucial M4 256GB Firmware 2 worked 100% perfect in my Macbook Pro.

Firmware 1 didn't.