SSD for MBP 2007 - a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFro, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MacFro macrumors member

Looking to boost performence and hopefully battery life of my MBP from 2007 (2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I'll be running OSX Mavericks.

I've been looking through some forums on the topic, but i'm still a bit confused...

1. Does all 2,5" ssd's work on this machine? Like the Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120gb?
      http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0
    2. I've read something about a hdd thermal sensor (or something like that). That some people experience fans going crazy at full speed all the time after a hd swap. Don't want that. Why exactly does this happen and how can i avoid it? Can't really see this sensor in the iFixit guides.
    3. This thing called Trim. I've read that i need this to avoid the ssd from going slow. Is this something inside the actual ssd or via software inside the OS?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Yes... it is a standard laptop drive size and that EVO you are looking at is a good choice.

2. What you are reading about thermal sensors is on the iMac models. You Macbook does not have this sensor, so you don't need to worry about it.

3. TRIM for aftermarket drives on a Mac needs to be enabled in software if you choose to use it. There is a free app here that will do it for you.

3. MacFro thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. EVO will work yes, but save some money and buy an older drive, or a used one. Your data controller only support 1.5Gbps, so an EVO is way overkill.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

6. Hepatical macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MBP with 2.2 GHz CPU, 128 MB Nvidia 8600mGT, 6 GB RAM, Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, running Mavericks.

Everything is nice and smooth, cool and quiet.

1. The Samsung 830 SSD I have is the one that came before the 840, I chose it because it doesn't need the TRIM command as much as most of the other SSDs. It fits like any 2.5" HDD in the MBP, and from the user point of view, works exactly like one, just much faster.

As T'hain Esh Kelch said, it is theoretically much faster than the interface on this old laptop allows it to be, but you will feel a difference nonetheless.

2. No worries, just follow the ifixit guide.

3. I would say that's optional with this drive, I activated it but haven't done much research about the need of the TRIM command with this drive.

As far as battery life goes, there won't be any difference.

7. MacFro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info. I considered 840 EVO drive as it was one of the cheaper ones available. Cheap and from what i've heard, reliable. Most of the older drives seem to have disappeared from the online stores anyway, so doesn't seem like there is much money to save.

I know the sata controller inside the machine is much slower than on the ssd, but my thought was... when the machine eventually dies (or gets swapped for a newer one), i will take the drive out, get an external cabinet and use it as a portable hd.

Then you seem to have the exact same machine as i got. Except that you have 6gb of ram. I thought it only supported 4 !?

As for batterylife. I was really hoping for a little increase. Oh well, at least booting, starting programs etc will be snappier. So i guess i will get more "quality time" after the swap :)

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

If you put an SSD and install OS X Mavericks (on a 2007 machine) your battery life will increase a little on normal use ; about 25-35 minutes.