SSD for MBP: Intel Postville or OWC Mercury ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macchiato2009, May 24, 2010.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

which one to choose ?

so far until now, i used to go for Intel for all my Macs

but it seems that OWC is doing better in every aspect

any feedback for this brand ?

thx

2. chopper dave macrumors regular

3. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

OWC definitely has better specs, however, Intel is the most proven SSD on the market right now. Its the yardstick of SSDs. Other drives are reviewed by comparing them to it. Additionally, the Postville has some of the highest Random 4K Read/Write speeds which basically judges the "snappiness" of your system. I went with it and I'm happy to say it has served me very well. Check the benchmarks at Anandtech, it will help you decide.

However, if you need more than 160GB for the moment, Intel is out for you.

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

OWC is a very solid company. I don't have personal experience with their new SSDs (as much as I'd like to have some) but you can certainly count on them to make the situation right if you end up having any problems. I don't really see how you can go wrong with the OWC SSD, the performance numbers are certainly there and they have firmware level garbage collection which the intel units dont.

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

OWC just rebrands drives, they don't make them of their own. Also it turns out to be super expensive for customers outside of the US. I live in Europe and couldn't afford one due to shipping + customs. :(

6. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

7. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for your response.

I'm moving soon, I will think about which product to buy in about 2 weeks...

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's not true for Canadians. Anything made in the USA is free of customs/duties. And there's no tax, so it's pretty much a win-win.

As for me I just placed my order for a OWC Mercury, and am returning the Corsair Nova V128 that I have right now.

OP, read this article, very good read. http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld.html

9. i0s macrumors newbie