Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
I just got a new MBP 13". Seems nice so far. But I want an SSD in it to make it faster. My requirements are in order are:
1. stability and reliability
2. speed
3. at least 120GB space, but more space would be nice

What are the best drives? I've read about Intel and OCZ.

The 160GB Intel drive page says "1 to 4 weeks" delivery time on Amazon for $500. Is that version not out yet or just in short supply?

Some people have had big problems with OCZ firmware and defective units. Is it pretty much fixed by now or not? There's a 250GB drive from OCZ ($700) which is a nice amount of space, but is it as good as the Intel one?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
intel intel intel.....*starts chanting*

no really...they rock.

i have rocked out the ocz and the intel....go intel !

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'd go with the Intel X25-M G2. It's faster than the OCZ Vertex. Both are about the same when it comes to stability/reliability. One great thing that OCZ has going for itself is the relatively frequent firmware updates that improve performance and introduce new features like the garbage collection in the latest firmware.

Review and benchmarks for Intel X25-M G2.
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3607&p=4

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
pnyc the Intel X25-M G2 looks like it's doing very well in that review. But are they in stock anywhere (an online U.S. store)?

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Intel. All I hear about OCZ is "Value" and "Good Competitor". Never "Better".

antskip

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Australia
Intel. All I hear about OCZ is "Value" and "Good Competitor". Never "Better".
OCZ, Intel (and there are plenty of others, as well) both produce wonderful SSD's which most people coming from HDD's would love to have and would notice the difference from an HDD far more than whether or not they chose one manufacturer or another - unless one spends one's computing time doing abstract testing. . :) 95% of recent SSD's are blazingly fast, tough, silent, vibration-free, low-power, and available at reasonable prices, considering the benefits over old HDD technology. What will be noticed is if one's SSD provides sufficient storage space or not. Choose the size you need, whether it be 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, or 250GB. All other things being equal (like availability, size and price), then Intel is mostly tops in raw performance, but that does not mean the latest Indilinx and Samsung-driven SSD's are mediocre. They are awesome.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
pnyc the Intel X25-M G2 looks like it's doing very well in that review. But are they in stock anywhere (an online U.S. store)?

To answer your question, no. They're not going to ship (I presume) until end of month. They dropped early and I know someone may have gotten theirs, but they haven't dropped yet.

The price of the Gen 1 is bound to drop, I'd even take that bad boy for the right price. But the gen 2 looks smoking.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.

No. They aren't in stock yet. Intel pulled them to correct a BIOS pwd. issue. It wouldn't have affected mac users but we don't count.

Intel recently announced a fix and is in process of fixing the BIOS problem for rerelease. In the meantime, the Gen. 1's aren't too shabby either. They can be had for $450 at Newegg. Those drives were close to $700 when I first was trying to convince myself they were worth it (about three months ago.) Now Newegg has thrown in a nice enclosure thingy about four days ago and free shipping started I think today. With the incentives increasing on the G1's, the G2's must be close to rerelease.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I wanted to get the 320 gb intel ssd but when they said it wouldn't come out till 2010 I knew I had to look elsewhere. The 160 intel ssd was to small for me to run bootcamp and still keep a majority of files on the ssd. I went with the ocz 250 gb vertex and love it. The firmware is easy to update and I have had no issues with it yet. My xbench score went from 145(stock 7200 rpm) to 245.

Ocz already has their 1.4 update which offically adds trim support for windows 7. Intel hasn't released that yet. Also the generation 2 intel drives had the issue where they had to hault sales. The intel drives are nice though

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I tried to follow OCZ in terms of their SSD line but they kept announcing new models and updates every other week so I was kinda turned away. It seems that intel's drives are the most straightforwards ones. Gen 1 had no issues that required frequent firmware updates and the 1-2 computers that I have tried with them were amazingly responsive and quick. They will be collecting my coin pretty soon as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.