SSD for MBP late-2009

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Branskins, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

Okay I am kind of another pickle as to what to buy! I am looking at the OWC Mercury Pro Extreme 120 GB for 239 but people keep talking about the New Year and Intel's new SSD driving prices down. I know prices will always be falling, but are there any major developments in the New Year that I should wait for?

Sorry for the annoying question, but you MR people are the only people I trust when it comes to buying stuff for Mac!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're fine with 120GB and 239$ price tag, then go ahead. We still don't know any exact schedule of new Intels and when looking at the past, the availability will be fairly low in the beginning. I doubt the price will come down that much as current SSDs have been dropping in price all the time, even though the manufacturing method has been the same (it's new and cheaper in new Intels, more GB/area)

3. miata macrumors 6502

I got the same exact drive for the same exact price and am very happy. It is one thing to delay purchases for a laptop, but with disks you know that every month is going to be cheaper. Keep the drive you have and then do an even lower cost upgrade in a couple of years to a drive that will be much faster and bigger.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Generally, buying stuff right now is a bad idea, especially in the tech market. It's this years latest and greatest, just before next years stuff takes its place in a month.

5. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

6. pjfan macrumors regular

I purchased 80 GB Intel back in April '10... although I handed over my MBPro after MBAir purchase, I wish I would've purchased an SSD earlier. The best upgrade I've ever made.

I only read positive things regarding the longevity of Intel, but Intel was all I have dealt with until the new MB Air, so I consider my opinion bias and will stop here. The SandForce is killer fast, perhaps worth trying it.

Good Luck!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OCZ support for Mac = non-existence

You can't even upgrade the firmware in OS X, you need Windows for that. OCZs have a lot issues with OS X, take a look at OCZ forum and there are several threads about it in MR as well.

OWC for 10$ more is a lot better deal