SSD for Mid 2007 MacBook Pro 15.4 A1226

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyzwerewolf, Nov 8, 2011.

1. nyzwerewolf, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

OK! So I finally decided to get an SSD for my Mid 2007 MacBook Pro 15.4 2.4Ghz A1226. The only issue is, there are too many out there.

This MBP only has SATA 1.5Gbps. So I do not see a point of spending big bucks on a 6Gbps SSD. I just want to get the maximum out of my MacBook Pro before I upgrade to the 2012 release with Ivy Bridge. Right now I am using WD 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Disk in this MBP.

I use my MBP for: HD Video Editing (FCP, Adobe Premiere, AE), Virtual Machines (Fusion and Parallels), Photo Editing (LightRoom & Photoshop), and regular productivity apps (Office, Email, Browse, etc).

I am looking for an SSD with 160GB/+ capacity.

Looking forward to your suggestions :)

PS: I had posted a thread regarding this before where I was not sure if I should jump on the SSD wagon. I was thinking of holding off for the next gen MacBook Pro, but I want to get most out of my MBP right now.. hoping that the SSD will make a difference :confused:

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

any SATA II ssd should be fine. I don't know of any SATA I ssds.

3. mape2k macrumors regular

Well, considering that you want to upgrade in 2012, I would suggest you look into a SATAIII drive so you could use it in your 2012 model as well. AFAIK, SATA is backwards compatible with all future versions. That would safe you from buying two SSDs.

From what I hear, Vertex 3, Crucial 300 or Intel 510's are good to go. If you want more storage and you don't care about SATAIII speed improvement vs. SATAII, the Intel 320 is a good choice.

The only problem I could see is if the 2012 models come with a soldered SSD for OS and if 160GB will be enough for you in the future.