Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I have a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro (the 2.26 Ghz model) with the stock 5400rpm HDD and I want to upgrade it to an SSD. I wanted to go for Crucial's M4 128 GB, but Mac users seem to be having problems with it, and need to downgrade their EFI to 1.6 in order to make it work properly.

So what SSD do you recommend? I do not need more than 128 GB of space, and I was considering the 64 GB model before, but apparently, the speed grows with the capacity, so I thought I could spare the extra buck.

Thanks!

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I use a 120 OCZ Vertex 2 - in my 2006 MBP and it runs like a dream, no sleep issues or anything, no downgrading.. just plug and play!

MrJolly

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I live next door, England
I have a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro (the 2.26 Ghz model) with the stock 5400rpm HDD and I want to upgrade it to an SSD. I wanted to go for Crucial's M4 128 GB, but Mac users seem to be having problems with it, and need to downgrade their EFI to 1.6 in order to make it work properly.

So what SSD do you recommend? I do not need more than 128 GB of space, and I was considering the 64 GB model before, but apparently, the speed grows with the capacity, so I thought I could spare the extra buck.

Thanks!

Scrap the 2009 MBP and get a 2011 one with SATAIII if you are a speed freak. I have the M4 512GB in my late 2009 15" MBP and run EFI 1.6. It is super quick, palatial in terms of storage and kind to the battery. Coupled with the 8GB RAM upgrade I did at the same time I am sure this machine will see me through for the next 2 years at which point I will off load it and still get a three figure amount for it on eBay.

caen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
MrJolly, I don't really have the money to fully upgrade to a new machine. And even if I did, I would most probably wait for the next generation. One questions, though: after downgrading the EFI, do all the problems go away?

Dhelsdon, I've also been looking at a 60 GB Vertex 2, and read a lot of good reviews about it.

Also, what are your thoughts on Kingston, in terms of speed and reliability? Especially this one.

By the way, is a SATA-III SSD compatible with my Mac?

Last edited:

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
It's comparable, but will only link at SATA2. Thy said, I have a mid-2010(SATA2), and am waiting for my 120GB Vertex3 which is a SATA3 drive. My train of thought was; it's newer, it might be a little faster than a Vertex 2, it uses a newer generation controller, and it's still less than $200(which is the same or lower than a lot of SATA2 drives). I'll post up some reviews, benchmarks, and videos of booting and such when I get it in the next few days.

shoota

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Just like the OP I have a 2009 MBP with EFI 1.7 and I'm looking to get an ssd but it's so dang hard to sift through the mounds of info out there.
I'm considering Crucial and Intel but not OCZ (read too much bad stuff about them).
From Crucial the C300 seems to be relatively trouble free, the M4 seems to have problems and from Intel I don't know which model(s) to consider.
My number one priority is it being trouble free, with school I don't have time to constantly be tweaking settings and such.
My number two priority is getting TRIM support in Snow Leopard.

So, if any of you are running what I'm looking for please chime in and tell me your experience. Thanks!

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
+1 for the 470! Just bought a 64GB for my MBP (see sig). Was on a 120GB Vertex 3 but I rather give up some speed and have reliability.

shoota

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Ok so what's so special about the Samsung 470 series?
I found a 128GB Crucial C300 bnib for $175, would that be a good alternative?

edit: I got the bnib C300 128gb for $165 shipped so I guess I'll be using that :)

Last edited:

timex88

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Hi All,I too am facing this situation , choosing which ssd is trouble free and reliable for a mid 2009 mbpro 13".

Just like the op , Crucial M4 was very inviting, until I read the effort needed,I don't have time to tweak the settings.

So i would like to ask the OP , which SSD did you end up getting , how was the install ?

To the rest of the gang, how long since your SSD installation ? and problems ?

to date here is what I have gathered:

NO:
- OCZ
- Crucial M4
YES:
-Samsung 470 series
-OWC Mercury Pro 3g series
-Intel , no idea which model though.

your answers and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
It's quite simple, actually. You can have either performance or reliability. There is no SSD that does both perfectly. To summarize:

Reliability: Intel and Samsung.

Performance: Any second generation Sandforce-based SSD (OCZ, Kingston, OWC, ADATA, etc.).

timex88

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Hi
I opt for reliability , any ideas for the intel drives which model I should be looking at ?

Thank you

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
If you want to go for reliability, I'd say: wait for the Samsung 830. The Samsung 470 has proven to be very reliable for Mac users, haven't seen a single bug report of it yet. This Samsung 830 combines this reliability with very reasonable performance.

As for Intel, since the Intel 510 SSD is based on the Marvell controller, there are quite a number of Mac OS users who have reported numerous errors, so I'd stay away from that. The Intel 320, however, has the good old fashioned Intel controller which is very reliable. But if I had to choose between the Intel 320 and the Samsung 830, it'd be the 830 without doubt due to its higher performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.