Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So I'm fairly certain now that my 2009 13" MBP has an issue with the sudden motion sensor. Since it's no longer functioning properly, and my HDD has some minor corruption after a year of use (had the original replaced), I'm considering replacing it with an SDD. The thing is, I know absolutely nothing about buying or installing one. I'll probably get a friend of mine to install it for me. I currently have 2 GB RAM and a 2.26 ghz core 2 duo. The HDD is 160 GB, and I don't really want to go smaller than that. I'm in college, and this is my sole computer. I have 1 TB external for backups and old school files and another 500 GB for movies and such, both Western Digital. Any suggestions on an SDD that won't break the bank and will provide the storage I need? I use upwards of 140-150 GBs.

Thanks!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Crucial M4 256GB is my vote. They just came out with the M500 line as well, which offers slightly less capacity at similar price point, but more performance. I would go with whichever is cheaper.

I have 2 M4's. One in my wife's early-2008 15" MBP, and one in my mid-2012 15" cMBP. With over a year in on the early-2008, and almost 6 months in on the mid-2012, both have been problem-free so far (knock on wood.)

Some have also suggested the Samsung 840 or 840 Pro line of drives too. The Pro drives are more expensive, but faster.

There's also the OCZ Vector or Vertex 4. I have a Vertex 4 in my PC for about a year now. No issues with that one either. I ran away from the Vector drives when I saw their prices. At the time, right when they came out, they were much too expensive for the (IMO) marginal gain in performance. They have come down a bit in price recently, though. So, they may be a viable option as well now.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Crucial M4 256GB is my vote. They just came out with the M500 line as well, which offers slightly less capacity at similar price point, but more performance. I would go with whichever is cheaper.

I have 2 M4's. One in my wife's early-2008 15" MBP, and one in my mid-2012 15" cMBP. With over a year in on the early-2008, and almost 6 months in on the mid-2012, both have been problem-free so far (knock on wood.)

Some have also suggested the Samsung 840 or 840 Pro line of drives too. The Pro drives are more expensive, but faster.

There's also the OCZ Vector or Vertex 4. I have a Vertex 4 in my PC for about a year now. No issues with that one either. I ran away from the Vector drives when I saw their prices. At the time, right when they came out, they were much too expensive for the (IMO) marginal gain in performance. They have come down a bit in price recently, though. So, they may be a viable option as well now.

Thanks! I'll consider those. Technical question: do I need a 7mm or a 9.5mm? The Cruicials are the same price on Amazon, $199.99

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks! I'll consider those. Technical question: do I need a 7mm or a 9.5mm? The Cruicials are the same price on Amazon, $199.99

Either size will fit.

You will need a pentalobe and philips screwdriver to complete the procedure.

http://ifixit.com has pretty decent guides. They list the exact tools required for the job, as well as step-by-step instructions with pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.