SSD for Mid 2010 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfing bob, Aug 2, 2016.

1. golfing bob macrumors member

I am thinking about upgrading my RAM and Hard Drive to an SSD on my mid 2010 Macbook Pro. Still have the original Battery and no modifications have been made. Just want to find out if the OWC SSD will be a good match and quality Drive as well as their RAM upgrade.

Thanks for any Info

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Waste of money. Their SSDs are slow and expensive.

Go with Samsung 850 EVO and Crucial/Corsair/Kingston RAM.

3. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Thank You

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I totally agree. OP> No reason to overpay for the OWC gear. The brands JT mentioned are every bit as good and cost much less.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

i just threw a Samsung SSD in my 2010 Macbook Pro 15, and it worked great! My old Mac is pretty dang fast now, even compared to today's MacBooks. Crucial or Samsung. Those are the only two SSD manufacturers I would go with. Good luck!

6. Easttime macrumors 6502

I used the OWC SSD and Ram in my mid 2010 MB (not Pro), worked great. But go with those who know more about specs and prices than me.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 2010 MBP only has SATA II, so any recent SSD will do. Honestly, just find the best price on any newer Samsung or Crucial SSD and you'll be fine.

As for RAM, the 2010 models are notoriously picky, so make sure to stick with PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMMs. If you've got a 13" model, it'll actually accept 2 x 8GB modules.

8. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2016 ---
    Thank You

9. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

OWC SSDs are a solid product with solid support. Their 6G SSDs (which you do not need) are plenty fast. Been running OWC SSDs for a while, and my legacy SSD by them is still kicking butt since 2008.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

I want to upgrade the hard drive and RAM in my old mid 2010 13" 8GB MacBook Pro too. I just upgraded the OS from 10.5 to Sierra and things seem pretty slow now. How do I copy everything from the old hard drive to the new one?

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

re:
    “I want to upgrade the hard drive and RAM in my old mid 2010 13" 8GB MacBook Pro too. I just upgraded the OS from 10.5 to Sierra and things seem pretty slow now. How do I copy everything from the old hard drive to the new one?”

CarbonCopyCloner will do the job, and even copy the recovery partition, as well.

You can download CCC for FREE, and use it (fully functional) FREE for 30 days. It’s the “tool you want to use” for the job.

For a 2010 MBPro (I have one too), you don’t need to worry about paying extra for “the fastest” SSD available. That’s because a 2010 MBPro has only “SATA-2” (instead of SATA-3, which most 2.5” SSD’s are). ALL drives will deliver the same speeds, due to limitations of the SATA bus itself.

I would highly recommend either a Sandisk Plus or Crucial drive (current Crucial “MX300” series looks good).

I would also recommend that you buy an external 2.5” USB3 enclosure, and “prep and test” the new SSD in the enclosure BEFORE you install it into the MacBook. Might save some trouble.

Once the drive is ready and tested, then “swap it out” with the old internal HDD, and put that into the enclosure to serve as a backup.

Go to ifixit.com to see how the swap goes. It’s easy enough for anyone.

Be sure to buy and use THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB (shouting intentional).
    You need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

I've replaced hard drives before, but how to I prep and test?