ssd for mid 2010 mbp 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catmanchac, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. catmanchac macrumors newbie

catmanchac

just bought mbp mid 2010 15 inch i5
    i see specs say i need ssd ii at 3mb which is hard to find and expensive.
    ssd iii at 6mb are cheaper and easier to find. can i use the ssd iii?
    will it work as well as an ssd ii?

also i am wondering what is the best osx for this machine. i do not need the fastest speed, just ability to get recent browser updates and security updates

i browse, do photoshop, some quark, lightweight video editing, maybe lightweight use something like protools

2. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

Yes, you can use just about any SSD. I've been quite happy with the Crucial SSDs I've installed in these machines.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/macbook-pro-(15-inch,-mid-2010)

You'll need to upgrade to 10.11 at least for browser/security updates, if I recall correctly. Yours will run 10.13. If you haven't already, upgrade memory too if it isn't already maxed out.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

A SATA III SSD will run on a SATA II interface. It will run at the speed of the interface, as opposed to the advertised speed of the drive. Just be conscious of that when making a purchase of a SATA III drive.

2010 models still go up to the latest OS (10.13 High Sierra). It ultimately depends on preference, every version of OS X has had its issues and users here will share both praise and gripes with all of them. There isn't a definitive best, although I would certainly go for something recent if you're concerned with update support - perhaps a fresh install of 10.12 Sierra.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Any current SATA3 SSD will do.
    Forget about spending more $$ for "SATA2". You are throwing that money away.

Get the CHEAPEST DRIVE you can find.
    ALL will run at the same speed (again, because of the slower SATA2 bus in the 2010 MBP).

I also recommend you get one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

Use it to "prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you install it.
    You can also use it with the old HDD after you take it out.

Also get a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver. You'll need both to "do the drive swap".
    Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved (it's EASY).

5. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

I put a Crucial SSD in my early 2009 17" MBP several years ago and it definitely breathed new life into it. Easy to do.

6. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

As a couple other folks noted, Crucial makes great SSDs and I've had success with their drives as well. I picked up a mid-2010 13" MBP back in October, 2016, and immediately upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and installed a 275 GB Crucial SSD. Really makes a difference. ifixit.com is a great resource for how to do the swap. It's rather easy if you have the correct tools, like Fishrrman listed