SSD for mid 2011 iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DennisMadsen, Apr 13, 2012.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

I've been talking to an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician who is able to install an SSD in my mid 2011 iMac 27".

I need a SSD around 256GB. Which SSD would you recommend for my iMac? I've been looking at the Crucial M4.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Any SATA 3 SSD will do, just be sure to use a program for Lion called TRIM Enabler if it's a non Apple SSD.

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Enabling TRIM is usually not necessary since most SSDs have integrated garbage collection. If you should notice degrading speed over time, you can still install TRIM Enabler then.

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Thats a bad bit of advice right there, TRIM is proven to be more effective than relying on the drives own garbage collection.

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Following my advice, any user can find out whether this prove (source?) holds true for their particular SSD.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Actually most users report issues when enabling TRIM in Mac OSX via the hack. So the best advice is to not enable it, unless you're seeing performance degradation and aim to buy an SSD with good garbage collection.

7. kitsunestudios, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Other good choices are OWC Mercury drives and Intel's series. The Mercury Extreme and Intel 520 "Cherryville" are some of the fastest SATA 3 drives out there, and both offer Mac-native firmware updaters for the drives. Great long warranties too.

Crucial/Micron is a great mid-range solution, and has a bootable FreeDOS firmware updater that is mac compatible, and requires an optical drive. Kingston Memory uses the same Mac-compatable FreeDOS firmware updater. The Samsung 830 is also a decent drive, and while company firmware support is lacking, they are one of Apple's OEMs, so any vital updates are likely to come through Apple itself.

Aside from that, as long as you don't need to update the firmware, then the Force GT from Corsair, and Mushkin Chronos Deluxe are both excellent drives for a great price. OCZ tend to be a mixed bag for reliability, so I'd avoid them in an iMac: the last thing you want to do is reopen that thing if something's wrong.

(From what I can tell, the Sandforce based drives like the Mercury or Intel have their own garbage collection which conflicts with TRIM, while the Marvell based Crucial drive doesn't, and would greatly benefit from TRIM enabled.)

8. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answers, but my question was not much about TRIM. Which SSD do you recommend?

9. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

The Crucial M4 if you want a good value, Intel 520 or OWC Mercury 6G Pro if you want top speeds for video capture.

All three have good reputations, good support, and mac compatible firmware updaters; three things you want if you don't want to open your iMac again.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

11. luke.mac1 macrumors member

I can't imagine that there's a massive amount of difference between them tbh.
    The difference has been massive though. I've been to apple stores to try the iMac without an SSD and the speed difference is really obvious.

12. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Is there a better way to get the SSD in other than removing the logic board and adding a y splitter?

Is there anything wrong with removing the dvd drive and adding the SSD there? Is that connection slower?

13. spedanden macrumors newbie

The DVD drive uses a SATA2 port. Best way to do it is to tilt the logic board and plug in a 22 to 13 pin sata cable and run it behind the DVD drive.

14. All Taken macrumors 6502a

It's Sata 3 on all 3 ports.

15. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

That's good to know. Right now it's cheaper to buy two smaller drives than the one larger. I'm only looking at 240gb or so. Thanks for the help! :cool:

The software raid in OSX works well doesn't it?

16. All Taken macrumors 6502a

No idea about RAID in OSX sorry

17. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Yes, it does.

EDIT: ...as long as you don't want your boot drive to be RAIDed in Lion. That doesn't work properly (yet).

18. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Well the plan was to load the OS and everything on two raided 120gb drives...

19. spedanden macrumors newbie

Don't throw incorrect info out there. What I said is correct. There are 2 SATA3 ports and a SATA2 port which the optical drive is using.

Here
    ...and Here

20. All Taken macrumors 6502a

My 2011 iMac is running a SATA 3 link on the optical drive. Every 2011 iMac I have seen is running SATA 3 on all ports, I can post screenshots to prove you wrong, stop throwing incorrect info out there!!!! :p

What I said is correct, clearly some blogs are either reading the incorrect text box or Apple have crippled some machines.

21. spedanden macrumors newbie

I actually would like a screenshot, as what you're saying goes against anything published and would be a nice surprise on my new 27" which arrives soon.

22. Gebekophli macrumors member

6Gb - 6Gb - 3 Gb

Intel 6 Series Chipset:
    Hersteller: Intel
    Produkt: 6 Series Chipset
    Link-Geschwindigkeit: 6 Gigabit
    Ausgehandelte Link-Geschwindigkeit: 3 Gigabit
    Beschreibung: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported
    ST31000528AS:
    Kapazität: 1 TB (1.000.204.886.016 Byte)
    Modell: ST31000528AS
    Version: AP63
    Seriennummer: 9VPETC5V
    Native Command Queuing: Ja
    Queue Depth: 32
    Wechselmedien: Nein
    Absteckbares Laufwerk: Nein
    BSD-Name: disk1
    Rotationsfrequenz: 7200
    Medienart: Rotierend
    Partitionstabellentyp: GPT (GUID-Partitionstabelle)
    S.M.A.R.T.-Status: Überprüft

Intel 6 Series Chipset:
    Link-Geschwindigkeit: 6 Gigabit
    Ausgehandelte Link-Geschwindigkeit: 6 Gigabit
    INTEL SSDSC2MH250A2:
    Kapazität: 250,06 GB (250.059.350.016 Byte)
    Modell: INTEL SSDSC2MH250A2
    Version: PWG4
    Seriennummer: LNEL11710019250DGN
    Native Command Queuing: Ja
    Queue Depth: 32
    Wechselmedien: Nein
    BSD-Name: disk0
    Medienart: Solid State
    TRIM-Unterstützung: Ja
    Name des Schachts: SSD
    Partitionstabellentyp: GPT (GUID-Partitionstabelle)
    S.M.A.R.T.-Status: Überprüft

Intel 6 Series Chipset:
    Link-Geschwindigkeit: 3 Gigabit
    Ausgehandelte Link-Geschwindigkeit: 1,5 Gigabit
    OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5690H:
    Modell: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5690H
    Version: 4AH5
    Native Command Queuing: Nein