SSD for mid 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dweez, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Is there anything I should be aware of while swapping the 3.5" 500 gig drive for a 2.5" 256 gig SSD in an iMac?

A local Mac tech suggested there may be issues with the thermal sensor on the drive.

It's got the Intel 6 Series SATA chipset and a system report shows that the link speed is 6 gig with a negotiated speed of 3 gig. Will that interface provide SATA 3 (my guess) or SATA 2 speeds?

TIA.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you will have issues with the fans running away without that sensor. You can either buy an aftermarket cable from someone like OWC or there is a software solution here.

That interface is SATA III.

3. Bear macrumors G3

There will most likely be thermal sensor issues.

4. macthefork, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

It will run at SATA 3 speeds. Since there is a second SATA connector on the logic board in your iMac, why not just add a SSD (it fits behind the ODD) and leave in the original spinning HDD in place. That what I did on my mid 2011 27" and am very happy with the results, with no fan issues.

Edited to add:

I don't know about fitting a SSD in the smaller iMac or the second connector... I just noticed you didn't specify which size iMac you had but saw you had the 500GB HDD.

5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Agree with the second SSD/HDD idea. I believe there is a How To on iFixit, and I think they sell a kit for it (SATA cable, mounting tape, etc) but you'd probably be able to pick up that same stuff for less at the hardware store and off Newegg.

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

7. Dweez thread starter macrumors 65816

Dweez

My issue is that the spinning media is exhibiting signs of early death. Current backups are in in hand, but since the machine isn't used a lot I'm waiting until it quits working.

Replacing the optical drive isn't an issue as it gets used quite a bit - the machine belongs to my daughter and when it's powered on the majority of the time it's got a DVD in the optical drive.

Also - it's a 21" iMac - should have included that.

8. Bear macrumors G3

My suggestion would be to watch the SSD prices and get one soon. Then plan on doing the drive swap when you have free time. This way it doesn't become an emergency that you have to fit in.