SSD for my MBP or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, Dec 8, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Okay so I'd like to get an SSD the problem is I don't know which one to get it for.

I have an early 2012 13" MBP just the base model and I also have a 2009 Mac Mini with 8gb of RAM that I'm using as plex/xbmc for my htpc connected to my 51" Samsung Plasma.

Now the MBP I only use for class and just web browsing. The Mac Mini is used for getting the content off the net to my plex/xbmc and I use it all the time for watching tv shows, movies, etc.

So which one should I put the SSD in?

2. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

It all depends.
    I have almost the opposite of you, I have a 2010 MBP and a 2011 Mac Mini.
    The Mini is a computer used for photo and Music editing, whereas the MBP I use for word documents and movies.
    I put my SSD in the MBP, because it was older and when it came to it, the 8GB of RAM in my Mac Mini was more than enough to power it, whereas my MBP struggled even with the 8GB of RAM.
    Just remember that the Mac Mini will be SATA 2 and the MBP will be SATA 3 as well.

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Put it in the MBP.

1. SSD reduces power consumption. Matters more in laptop.
    2. SSD increases speed, meaning less time waiting for stuff to happen. Matters more in laptop, because this changes what you can get done during battery life.
    3. You are clearly using a lot more space on the mini. SSDs tend to be smaller.
    4. Easier to swap drive in an MBP than a mini.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

My recommendations;

1. Samsung 840 Pro
    2. Samsung 840
    3. Samsung 830
    4. OCZ Vertex 4
    5. Crucial M4

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a Plex/XBMC living room Mac Mini plugged into my TV as well. I put in a 64GB SSD and it works great! Awesome speeds, great startup speed, and plenty of space, since all my movies and media are on external drives.