SSD for my resurrected MBPro15" late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giuanniello, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

My MBPro15" late 2011 has been resurrected by the Apple program to recognize faulty boards, I have been using the tiny MBAir 11" in the meantime and once back on the Pro (500GB 5.400RPM, 16GB i7) it feels sluggish, dunno if OS related (have over 70GB free space on disk, permission repaired...) or just the gap between SSD and the old 5.400RMP HD, just thinking to swap the disk with an SSD but can't figure it out which kind of SATA my Pro runs as wouldn't want to waste money buying a SATA III or such when not fully made use of from the laptop, anybody knows which is the fastest bus speed I can take advantage of by installing an SSD (thinking of a Samsung by the way in the 512GB range)?

thank you

Giovanni

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Your laptop uses SATA III. Go for the Samsung! My 850 EVO has been great in my early-2011 15" MPB.

3. JTToft, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

You have SATA III, and so can take full advantage of all modern SATA SSDs.
    Samsung is a great choice, and if you want to go all out, get the 850 Pro (one of the absolute best SSDs on the market, and comes with a 10-year warranty).

To check your SATA version yourself (and for future reference), go to the Apple logo in the top left hand corner, click "About This Mac", then "System Report", and then navigate to the "SATA/SATA Express" tab, where you should see a Link Speed of 6.0 Gigabit, which corresponds to SATA III.

Attached Files:

4. EtherealMAC macrumors member

I have a Crucial 512GB on mine, works flawlessly. Although I have read reviews on how the Samsung ones are better, at least where I live (Japan) the samsung ones are incredibly expensive, 20%-30% more expensive than the comparable crucial ones. So at least for me, the crucial ones offer a best bang for the buck, dunno how prices are where you are. Prices have gone down as time has passed by, so the Crucial 1TB is not as ridiculously expensive as it once was , samee with the 512GB.

Another popular mod you may consider doing is replacing the optical drive ( do u use it I all?) and substittute it for a HDD. You'll need a drive caddy, optibay, for that, they are not expensive. so for example, you put a 512Gb SSD on the main HDD bay and your old 5400rpm 500GB on the optibay. Bam, 1TB to go on your MBP and its performace will improve dramtically (because of the SSD). Mind you though, If you are putting an optibay you might as well just buy a cheap 1TB HDD and put in in there, just make sure its SATA 2 and not SATA 3, as SATA 3 doesnt work well with OptiBay drives.

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I ordered a crucial and my computer has been running like a beast since then, feels like a brand new computer.

My is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Crucial BX100 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT1000BX100SSD1

Thats the one I got. Got it on amazon.

I also bought two 4 GB sticks to upgrade my ram for 8GB all day

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 204-Pin SODIMM Memory For Mac CT2K4G3S1339M / CT2C4G3S1339M

My Macbook boots up in 6 seconds :D

No lags whats so ever. Best investment I made to my laptop, I was going to sell it, and buy a new one,but decided to go this route instead.