SSD for old MB sufficient?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minihobel, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Minihobel macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm currently thinking about buying a new macbook pro or just upgrading my old one (Mid 2012) with an SSD.

(----- Current MB specs: 13", 2,5ghz i5, 16gb 1333mhz ddr3, intel graphics 4000 1024mb -----)

I'm going to spend the second half of 2015 in China (as an intern) but I still need to work a bit on my macbook because I won't have any other desktop pc over there.
    However, after installing Yosemite etc on my current MB, it got extremely slow and sometimes I can't even reboot (it simply doesn't/can't shut down). It's just very annoying doing anything with it.

So my question for you guys is, if you have an idea if upgrading it with a nice SSD would be enough or not? I wouldn't intend to game on this thing... just watching movies, working (word/excel/pages/numbers/powerpoint/keynote) and doing "normal" private stuff.

Any comments on that? or even experiences with a similar situation?

Thanks in advance :)!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes an SSD will utterly transform it basically, nothing you do requires any better specs. Go with a samsung 850 EVO or a Crucial MX200 for the best bang for your buck.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes, no question, get an SSD.

And don't clone the system, since you can't shut down. A simple reinstall will most likely fix it.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It would depend mostly on your usage, and with what you have listed it sounds like a SSD would be a good choice instead of upgrading the unit as a whole. I can speak for this personally as my main notebook is a 2010 MBP with the RAM and SSD upgraded and it still handles moderately intensive programs and heavy multi-tasking about 5 years later.

Good luck to you on your internship!

5. Minihobel thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys;)
    Your opinion here at MR is much appreciated!

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic