SSD for PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iwhillenbrand, Mar 16, 2010.

1. iwhillenbrand macrumors newbie

2. iwhillenbrand thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, but powerbook is an ATA connection, not SATA and the converter doesn't fit in notebooks. Thanks anyway! :):)

3. vielleicht macrumors newbie

I was thinking that same thing! How'd it go?

I know it's silly, but i still thoroughly enjoy using my 12" Powerbook now and then. It's still an unmatched experience. :) I guess SSD's go for a $100, but there are several important properties to consider. voltage and access time and speed are confusing parameters to me. I just want batterylife. One or two hours extra.
    I recently got a new battery and a working! harddrive installed (did it myself :cool:) but I am still wondering if I should have bought an SSD instead.

Does anyone have irl experience with battery life? what to choose by, whether lower voltage drives will work, and yes. It has to good old (P)ATA, 2.5" or adaptable to this.

4. sparksymusic macrumors newbie

Have you considered a Compact Flash card? you can get them in 32GB I think and you'd need an IDE - CF converter but it fits and will be a good OS drive. Sadly, you'd need an external drive for a music library & other media.

5. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Did you finally buy this ssd? I have a similar PB and want to know if you would recommend the upgrade!

Thanks

6. headset macrumors member

don't do compact flash, it's too slow.

I'm thinking of throwing an ssd into my 12" pb, so I'd like to hear about how it has worked for people.

What I'm considering is, keeping the 250gb I have in there and ditching the optical drive for an optibay and probably one of these.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

ORLY?

Have a 120GB G.Skill Phoenix Pro or OWC SSD with it.

Bon Appetit.

8. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Man its gonna be awesome when those optical drive /ssd combos go mainstream that would be nice to have!