SSD formatted APFS (case-sensitive) ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AstarA, Dec 16, 2018.

1. AstarA macrumors newbie

Hi

My mac mini (mid 2012) running Mojave had a 128GB SSD that was getting full.

I cloned the drive to a new 250GB SSD formatted APFS (case-sensitive) and installed in mini. All went fine.

Microsoft "One Drive" now refuses to save cloud files to this new drive because it is "case sensitive" and this is the only problem I have experienced.

Did I do wrong ? Any long term issues with this case sensitive drive ?

Can I make new SSD just APFS without having to format and start all over again ?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

2. th0masp macrumors 6502

Clone the drive back somewhere then recreate the filesystem as 'APFS' (non-case sensitive) and then clone the contents back onto it and you'll be up and running again.

There are more issues to be had with that filesystem configuration - made this mistake myself the other week: e.g. Adobe apps would give issues, some programs no longer starting. Not all that obvious as to what it relates to.

3. Ploki macrumors 68040

Case-sensitive means "Folder" is not "folder" and is not "fOlder" and if apps cannot address that difference and just address the destination with all lower-case (as they often do), they wont be able to access a certain directory with Uppercase.

I would steer away from the case-sensitive system if you dont know why would you use it.

4. AstarA thread starter macrumors newbie

I will clone convert back to normal APFS .

We all can make a mistake :(

Thanks for advice

dave

5. Fishrrman, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You DON'T want to use "case sensitive".

Use "case INsensitive" instead.