Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
1,043
402
Korat, Thailand
I just got an M1 MBA with a 256GB SSD. I'm trying to figure out how much free space the SSD has. I get very different answers depending on where I look.

The Stats menu bar items says 82% is used leaving 18% free or about 46GB free.
The Finder says 121.87 GB available.
Disk Utility says 43.75 GB Free.
The Storage section of System Settings>General says 122.7 GB.
On the command line, DF also says 18% (46GB) available

Which one is closest to being approximately correct?

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 2.40.55 PM.png
 

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
264
176
The Storage section would be the closest one. Others do or do not count APFS snapshots, system volumes, system partitions, purgeable content, etc so they report differently.
 

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
1,043
402
Korat, Thailand
The Storage section would be the closest one. Others do or do not count APFS snapshots, system volumes, system partitions, purgeable content, etc so they report differently.
Thanks. It's amazing to me that there's such a huge discrepancy with no hint as to why or what is or is not being taken in to account.

Perhaps I'll write a little piece of code that keeps incrementing a file until it fails due to lack of space.

Or, not.
 

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
1,043
402
Korat, Thailand
The Eclectic Light Company has Mints, a free multipurpose utility. Here are the Mints results for Volume Info on my boot drive:

Code:
Volume <Macintosh HD>:
    format APFS (NOT case sensitive)
    free space on </Volumes/Macintosh HD> is 42.65 GB of total 245.11 GB
    used space 202.45 GB
    available for important usage 159.98 GB
    available for opportunistic usage 30.3 GB
    sparse file storage available
    file cloning available
    volume supports compression.

Edit: After posting the above I checked again with the Finder. It now says 175GB available.
 
Last edited:

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
1,043
402
Korat, Thailand
This afternoon Stats reports that the SSD is only 39% full. Quite a change from yesterday's 82%. Have I deleted anything? No.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 2.44.44 PM.png
 

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
28,340
12,458
I've never relied on what the "storage" tab tells me.

If I want to know how much "free space" is on a drive -- ANY drive -- I just select it in the finder, then type command-i to summon up the "get info" box.

The amount of space shown in "available" is good enough for me:
screenshot.jpg

(the above is from a partition on the boot SSD, because my boot SSD [512gb] is split into 4 partitions...)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.