SSD free space question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Badrottie, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

SSD seems not free up more space when I deleted some apps and clear up trash bin?? It increased some spaces whenever I deleted them.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you empty the Trash after deleting, it may be something else using the space.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

By the way, when you delete an app by dragging it to the Trash, there are frequently files and folders left behind that could consume space. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Thank you GGJStudio for very helpful info. I can see why mobilebackup eat up a lot I guess 160GB SSD is not enough. :(

but again many thanks. :)

4. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

"mobilebackup" is a backup of an iPhone or iPad or iPod touch. Try backing up to iCloud and deleting the backups from your computer in iTunes preferences. This might help a bit.

Good luck!

Tuck

5. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

how do you locate mobilebackup? Spotlight or finder could not find it???

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are confusing two, different things.

iOS backups are stored at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

If there are backups in there for devices you no longer own they can be deleted. Do this in iTunes under preferences in the Device tab.

The data at /Mobilebackups is created by Time Machine on a portable Mac that is away from a backup source. If this space is large you can zero it out by turning Time Machine off then back on. You really don't need to bother with this though because Lion will shrink this space automatically if more room is needed on the drive for user data.