ssd from mba 11" doesnt work HELP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by moey2k2001, Nov 4, 2015.

1. moey2k2001 macrumors member

Hi

I have an older MBA 11" from 2013. I took out the SSD and I was hoping it would work in my new MBA 11" which I just bought. It doesnt seem to recognize the drive.

Why is that happening and how can I make it work in the new Macbook.

Old Macbookair : 1.3 Ghz i5 8GB Ram. 256GB SSD.
    Running OSX 10.8.4

New Macbookair: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 128 GB SSD

Please input is needed. Thanks.

2. kohlson, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

kohlson macrumors 6502a

I don't believe this works The MBA SSDs are different, almost by model / year. Look to OWC to see that if you want to order upgrades, it depends on the model. But in general, they are not interchangeable. I believe the newest ones are significantly better performers than the older ones.
    [further edit] It seems that ifixit shows that you can use the same sad from a 2013 MBA to an early 2015 MBA. Might be helpful to search for this by Model ID number.

3. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

well thats the thing
    they seem to be the exact same ones frim the connection. but dont seem to work... shouldnt they be interchangeable?

4. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

here is a pic

left is new one
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Is the new Macbook Air the 2015 model? I'm not quite sure if that runs 10.8.4. That's what I think might cause the problem.

6. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

yeah its the new one... so u think i should upgrade? i dont know whats the new one yet. since i didnt even register it or switch it on to check it. i just wanted to use the old drive.

u think if i upgrade it should work? is the upgrade to the new osx free?

7. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

I am pretty sure you have to upgrade as the 2015 MBA won't support Mountain Lion (10.8). The newest update is El Capitan (10.11). If I am right (anyone, If I'm wrong then correct me) but the 2015 MBA shipped with Yosemite, which is two versions "younger" than Mountain Lion.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Correct, Macs generally cannot run any OS earlier than what it was shipped with.

You'd need to upgrade the OS on your SSD to El Capitan (maybe Yosemite, but El Capitan will for sure work) for the drive to work in your new laptop.

9. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

It is not working as you need to reinstall the OS on the new drive. Plus you need to be on the latest OS, El Capitan, not Mavericks.

Install the SSD into the new 2015 MacBook Air.

Turn on the 2015 MacBook Air and hold down Cmd, Alt and R, until you see the Apple logo.

Click disk utility, click on the partition tab, click 1 partition on the drop down box, rename the drive "Macintosh HD" and make sure the format is 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (WARNING - THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE CURRENT DRIVE)

Then exit out of disk utility, and click reinstall OS X.

You should be fine after that.