atticus27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Just to clarify, that's a 1 TB HDD with 64 GB of SSD cache.

You added Fusion Drive in the subject so you probably already know, but just to make sure... ;)

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007

That listing is not for a Momentus XT - a hybrid which has the 8GB of NAND - but rather for a standard HDD with a 64MB cache.

The Product Features and Product Description sections of the listing are deceptive. Don't get confused, that's not an SSD or a hybrid. The Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive costs about that much, but has a 7200rpm 750GB HDD and 8GB of cache that behaves somewhat similarly to Fusion in that it puts the most frequently accessed data on the SSD (though it does also keep a copy on the HDD).

You will notice a significant speed advantage with the Momentus XT on boots and for your most frequently accessed programs, but this 5400rpm 1TB drive won't be noticeably faster than what you've already got.

_____

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
That listing is not for a Momentus XT - a hybrid which has the 8GB of NAND - but rather for a standard HDD with a 64MB cache.

The Product Features and Product Description sections of the listing are deceptive. Don't get confused, that's not an SSD or a hybrid. The Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive costs about that much, but has a 7200rpm 750GB HDD and 8GB of cache that behaves somewhat similarly to Fusion in that it puts the most frequently accessed data on the SSD (though it does also keep a copy on the HDD).

You will notice a significant speed advantage with the Momentus XT on boots and for your most frequently accessed programs, but this 5400rpm 1TB drive won't be noticeably faster than what you've already got.

It would seem that I am wrong and Seagate just started putting these out! Were I you, I'd still cancel and get an old MoXT though, unless you need the additional 250GB. The platter is slower on the new one and the SSD portion is still only 8GB - that's a downgrade in my book.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011

_____

the momentus xt has been discontinued, thats what has replaced it. seagate doesnt make anymore 7200rpm drives, be them with or without nand in the 2.5'' size

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.