SSD Fusion in 2012 MBP - Best 4k performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JT3Jon, Jun 3, 2013.

1. JT3Jon, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

JT3Jon macrumors member

Hello,

I'm thinking of removing my optical drive (which I never use) and adding an SSD in its place, which I would then either use as my system drive or make into a fusion drive with my current 500GB HD that shipped with the Macbook.

I'm a musician who plans on storing some of my most used sample libraries on my macbook for portable performance. I also use the macbook as my "internet computer" where I surf the web, watch youtube / tutorial videos, etc. I also play the occasional game of Civ, but dont really care about improving gaming performance, mainly improving my music making and general macbook performance. So for me, its not about how fast it can write files, but how fast it can read and access a bunch of small files (i.e. thousands and constantly changing as I play different notes / combinations)

Any ideas on a capable SSD? I was thinking in the 240-256GB range would be the sweet spot for me (not too expensive, but large enough to house my most used sample libraries). I would move all other "non performance" files like my itunes library, iphoto, etc to the 500GB. Or perhaps just setup a Fusion drive and let the system figure it out?

It seems you can get a Sandisk Extreme 240GB SDSSDX-240G-G25 for around $160 which seems like a good deal. Should I just pull the trigger on one of these, or is there something that would be better for my needs?

Thanks in advance for your help and reply. It is very much appreciated!!
    Jon

p.s I dont know if I should post a new thread or post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177020&page=86 Mods if you feel its best in the other thread please feel free to move it

2. kamuix macrumors regular

I'm currently running a Samsung 840 pro SSD and it's a wonderful upgrade to my 2012 macbook pro. It's also one of the current raves that is being promoted on macrumors along side the regular 840. Both are great, but the only difference between the pro and the regular 840 is the read/write ability. I feel that it is a great upgrade, where I can open apps faster and do work with ease. I do a bit of illustrator and photoshop and the difference is amazing.

My current setup is where all the apps is on the ssd and everything else like music, and documents are on a hard drive (the original HD that came with the macbook pro). I was planning to utilize an optibay and move my HD into it with the SSD originally where my HD was. Unfortunately I am clumsy at times and stripped some screws required to shift the airport express card to get to a hex screw required in removal of the super drive. My solution was to jam the optibay in the enclosure originally for the super drive. So now I have my original HD as an external with the setup I mentioned before. It's annoying that it's plugged in all the time but at least it works.

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

personally i don't trust sandisk, either its crucial or samsung.
    add couple more bucks and you'll get something that is much more reliable.

4. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

May I ask why you dont trust Sandisk?

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

Samsung and Crucial have a good track record, as well as reviews.
    Sandisk....not much info

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Then it's a good thing that I'm using TM with my early-2013 rMBP, because Apple put a SanDisk SSD in it from the factory! :eek: :rolleyes:

If there's not much info on them then I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that they're any more or less reliable than anything else. That said, I would (and did) go with something with a bit more history by getting the Samsung 840 Pro. The SanDisk in my rMBP has been fine, and yes I understand that the Apple SSD in the rMBP is not going to be the same as a 2.5" SSD so that experience doesn't necessary cross over. I'm just not going to make assumptions when there's a lack of data. :)