Ssd fw800

Discussion in 'iMac' started by excommie, Jul 11, 2012.

1. excommie macrumors regular

I got the a Corsair 120GB SSD with the intention of installing it inside the Mac. Before doing this, I booted my iMac from the FW800 / SSD inside an Onyx FW800 enclosure. I don't see any reason to open the iMac - Word, Excel, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes all open up in a single bounce. Lion boots in 20 seconds (core2duo 2.8). I know the benchmarks will show the FW800 bottleneck, but this system is a lot faster with the FW800/SSD combo than it ever was using the internal HD.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I can see the smile on your face from here.....

The performance boost provided by an SSD and or more RAM is quite noticeable. After watching the videos I don't know that I have the savvy to replace the HDD in my iMac. Not quite as easy as upgrading the MBP.

3. Ace1024 macrumors member

If you want a cheap option, try the seagate thunderbolt adapter. It's much much faster than the firewire adapter (i.e. about 80% of internal ssd speed which is still SATA 3), and better utilising that ssd goodness.

4. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

So for the tech-unsavvy amongst us (ME!), you are booting from an external SSD?

This seems like a pretty good option for somebody like me who should not be allowed to take a screwdriver near anything.

What capacity would one require to hold the OS and a few key apps?

5. excommie thread starter macrumors regular

1. I am booting from the SSD via FW800 (external SSD)
    2. Currently using about 40GB of 120GB (Lion, MS office 2010, iLife, iWork, Gimp, Handbrake, Screenflow, Toast, Elgato evetv and a couple of other apps that I use often)
    3. I cannot use Thunderbolt, since my iMac doesn't have it (core2duo 24 inch)

6. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Great, thanks for the info!

Would be great if a cheap Thunderbolt ssd would come out some day!