SSD Guidance and thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DesignFusion, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DesignFusion macrumors member

Hey guys sorry for creating another thread on this! But I am looking at getting a 120gb SSD for my 6core macpro for when i update to lion. My budgets around £150 pounds. In a nutshell my question is what ssd? i am interested in what ssd will last the longest (i realise know one is really sure, but i have seen some intel ones with 5yr guarantee) also i realise apple stupidly only offer trim support for there own ssd's so would i say be better of buying a Sata III (even though its more than i need as the pro is sata II) as i have read they are better at handling garbage disposal.

Sorry if that has not made complete sense, but i keep reading random bits of info regarding ssd's. I look at this purchase like most an investment something that will hopefully last.

Thanks in advance!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I think you answered your own question. Get one with a 5-year warranty. Intel or OWC 6G. OWC is fastest and has "documented" Mac support.

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

As you said, SSD reliability is a very very debatable issue, with no clear answer anywhere. Track record: Intel wins.

As for speed, if you're planning on using a single SSD (non-RAIDed) in a SATA2 environment, get the cheapest Intel possible. Further, I would go back to get a 160GB G2 from Intel.

Sure, if you look at test benchmarks, some of the newest drives are MUCH faster. In the real world, those differences don't really exist. Here's a very interesting quote from Anandtech I posted elsewhere: "Even going back two generations of SSDs, at the same capacity nearly all of these drives perform within a couple of percent of one another. Note that the Vertex 3 is even a 6Gbps drive and doesn't even outperform its predecessor." http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed/3

Save your money!

Loa

4. blunti macrumors 6502a

as Derbothaus said, get the OWC 6G. These are reliable and fast. Not to mention the warranty and support!